Abandoned by user 8 years ago
My least favorite Jane. I loved Emma, though!

Of course, even my least favorite Jane is better than 90% of everything else I read!
Murder by Death 8 years ago
I feel a bit bad about not liking Emma more - I liked Clueless when I saw it. But I disliked her relationship with Harriet Smith. Thinking about it, I listened to it on Audio - maybe I would have liked it more and found Emma less of a busybody if I'd read it on paper.

But as you say, Emma was still 90% better than everything else I've read and I didn't *dislike* it. It was just my least favourite (so far).
rameau's ramblings 8 years ago
I haven't read this one. Might be the only Jane Austen book I haven't read (I'm not sure about Mansfield Park).

I usually like the adaptions made of Emma but I like the book less. Persuasion, however, is the other way around. I love the book and always find faults in the adaptations.
Murder by Death 8 years ago
Persuasion is next for me. I'm really looking forward to it - so many people have great things to say about it.
I like Persuasion a lot.
Degrees of Affection 8 years ago
Wonderful review! I think you and I had mostly the same feelings about the book. I've not read Emma yet but my least favorite is Sense and Sensibility and then this.
Murder by Death 8 years ago
Thanks! I could have nattered on quite a bit about this book, which really surprised me. I tried to keep it concise and not get too spoilerish.

Since I've only ever listened to Emma, perhaps we should add Emma to the group read list? I'm willing to give it another go and see if the print version improves my opinion. :)
Degrees of Affection 8 years ago
Sounds good. Is there a way we could hold of till Sat, though? I've got a book I've got to finish first and need to swing by the library to pick up a copy. Earlier time fine, just need to know.
Murder by Death 8 years ago
Oh, yeah, we can totally wait until Saturday! I'm in no rush at all. Also, I just got notification that 11 new books were shipped out, so shortening my TBR pile would be a good thing. Otherwise I may need a council building permit at some point soon.

My job has me on school holidays for two weeks starting Friday, so I'll have a lot more time to read then too. :)
Degrees of Affection 8 years ago
Lovely! Can't wait to see what you read! My family is coming in next week for the fourth, so I'm trying to read all I can now.
I know I've read this, because I've read all of Austen, but frankly, it was 30 years ago and I don't remember it.
Degrees of Affection 8 years ago
I'd say it's not terribly memorable...other then her satire of Gothic romances.
Murder by Death 8 years ago
Indeed - the gothic satire was almost hilarious and that will stick with me long after I've forgotten the rest of it.