Obsidian Blue 4 months ago
Cracking up at your spoiler! I had to DNF this one.
I prefer the Julie Christie version of the film, though that's probably got more to do with Terence Stamp's Captain Troy.

But yeah, even though I'm a total Hardy fan-girl, I still want to give Bathsheba a jolly good slap.
Person Of Interest 4 months ago
Yep, it was nostalgia for the '67 film - Stamp & Alan Bates left an impression - that made me pick up the audio book. I still haven't gotten around to listening to it yet, though. I hope the story holds up for me and Bathsheba doesn't make me cranky.
Lillelara 4 months ago
I only know the Carey Mulligan movie and have never watched the other adaptions (but I´m planning to catch up on them).
My main complaint with the most recent adaption has been that there was too much chemistry between Batsheba and Gabriel (played by Matthias Schoenarts). They were clearly into each other right from the beginning and I just couldn´t understand, why Batsheba didn´t want to marry Gabriel.
Not that I can blame her, because Matthias Schoenarts is absolutely gorgeous in this movie.
Person Of Interest 4 months ago
After looking into the film adaptations more, I decided to watch the '98 Masterpiece Classic one. People's opinions seemed to be all over the map on which was the best, but some felt the added length of the PBS version fleshed out all three suitors, as well as the minor characters more and was truer to the book.
Is that the Paloma Baeza version? I really enjoyed that one. Definitely truer to the book.
Person Of Interest 4 months ago
Yes. Nathaniel Parker plays Gabriel, Jonathan Firth is Troy and Nigel Terry is Boldwood.
BrokenTune 4 months ago
Even tho I'm not a Hardy fan-girl, I liked the sheep.

Glad you enjoyed it! :)
Lillelara 4 months ago
I´m not a Hardy fan-girl yet, but I will definitely be reading some of his other books. Can you fan-girls (or not fan-girls) recommend me where to go next? I tend to Tess of the D-Urberville, but maybe I should read something less depressing before reading Tess. I own "The Mayor of Casterbridge" and "Two on the Tower" as well. so maybe I should read one of these two books first.
The Mayor of Casterbridge is my absolute favourite Hardy. It's a bit depressing, but not in the same league as Jude the Obscure. If you want something lighter, Under the Greenwood Tree might fit.
Lillelara 4 months ago
I think, based on the blurb, Under the Greenwood Tree might be too similar to Far From the Madding Crowd. So I think I will pick The Mayor of Casterbridge as my next Hardy. This book might ease me into the depressiveness that is Tess ;).

Thank you for your recommendations :).
BrokenTune 4 months ago
I'm being told that A Laodicean has a happy-ish ending, but I have not read it, yet. Not sure if there is a Hardy that is not depressing, but Return of the Native had some fun moments.
Under the Greenwood Tree is Madding Crowd lite. Similar plot but less death and destruction, and no sheep.
BrokenTune 4 months ago
Is there a Bathsheba?
Yep. The improbably-named, Fancy Day.
BrokenTune 4 months ago
Oh, what a name!
Lillelara 4 months ago
Huh, Fancy Day ... Didn´t she use to be a Bond Girl? ;)

BrokenTune 4 months ago
If she's not, she should have been!