BrokenTune 5 months ago
It is a subplot! There's more to it. One of the other things I found odd was her approach to malaria prevention... I remember thinking that there were other alternatives to whichever drug she was going on about (which can have serious side effects). But it's been a few years since I read this and I don't remember the details.
But yeah, for someone working for a pharmaceuttical company, Marina is way too clueless.

Also, there was another aspect that drove me nuts.
Lillelara 5 months ago
Now I´m curious what´s going to happen ;).

You are right, there is an alternative for Lariam and she could have easily taken this drug (which is called Malarone, btw). Patchett brushes this these tablets of with the matter of fact remark that they don´t work as well as Lariam. And that is not true. Malarone can have some serious side effects as well (hallucinations among others), but they are not as severe as the side effects of Lariam. And someone who is suffering from these side effects would never continue with taking the tablets, let alone a medical doctor.

BrokenTune 5 months ago
Malarone is the one I use when travelling to those far flung places. It has side effects, too, and some people get really ill with it. I had a colleague who can only take it with milk as this is the only way he doesn't get violently sick. Still, she could have tried it before totally giving in to the Lariam or nothing belief.
BrokenTune 5 months ago
Lariam was the stuff that was believed to have caused someone psychotic episodes, isn't it?

Still, you're absolutely right, no one with her background (or an once of common sense) would continue to take meds if they had that kind of severe side effects.

It does feed nicely into the subplot, tho.
Lillelara 5 months ago
Yep, Lariam is vicious. Psychotic episodes and worsening of (latent) mental diseases included. There is no way that a person with an ounce of intelligence keeps on taking them, whilst suffering from terrible nightmares. That´s ridiculous.

Btw, I´m mentally preparing myself for the medicinal subplot ;).
BrokenTune 5 months ago
Actually, for all its silliness I liked the questions Patchett tried to raise with the medical/pharma subplot.