BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
That is annoying. Why read this book when fun can be had with the original? I'm kinda fascinated that he chose to revive No. 4, tho. That is a nice touch.
Lillelara 2 weeks ago
That was one of the better references, because I had to think for myself with that one. A lot of the time the main character has verbal diarrhea, constantly explaining that this is a reference to that in this particular Christie book and so on.
My personal rock bottom, though, has been the cameo appearence of Matthew Pritchard, Agatha Christie´s grandson. Honestly, that was so stupid.
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
"Verbal diarrhea" is what I remember from Trigger Mortis, where H. seemed so chuffed with himself at having done a of lot research that he wanted to let you know on every page how meticulously he had researched whatever he was talking about. Such bad writing...
Lillelara 2 weeks ago
He does that in all of his books? Yeah, I think I will give him a pass in the future.
::makes note to avoid Mr. Horowitz::
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
Good call. I still can't believe this is the same guy who wrote the sceenplays for the Poirot series and Foyle's War.
Person Of Interest 2 weeks ago
Ha! I was just listening to the bi-annual best book pics on a local NPR program, and one caller was raving about how great this book was. She also mentioned Horowitz's work on Foyle's War. To each their own. :)
Lillelara 2 weeks ago
Magpie Murders has a four star rating on goodreads, so apparently a lot of people like this book. So let´s just say, this book isn´t for me :)
Person Of Interest 2 weeks ago
Yes, we're all uniquely individual in what we do and don't enjoy. I was just amused to see what a few BL's thought about Horowitz after listening to an enthusiastic recommendation for Magpie the day before. :P