These look good and more my "thing". :)
Debbie's Spurts 7 days ago
Is there a link to the bookclub?
It's currently still named for the "Invention of Nature" group read.
Oh, good, you found it -- I meant to include the link, sorry I forgot after all!
Murder by Death 7 days ago
After the group read, I plan on renaming it (and taking suggestion for clever names!) - I just didn't want to do it before we're finished because I didn't want to confuse any current members.

I also wasn't expecting this level of enthusiasm - it's awesome! (showing my 80's a bit there).

So. many. books.
BrokenTune 7 days ago
The Demon Under the Microscope looks really good. I will have to find this one whether we read it as part of the book club or not.

I have The Soul of an Octopus. A friend sent it to me. She loved it. Sadly, it is still sitting on my shelf. :(
The title itself is priceless.

I have "Sapiens" (it's on my list, too, actually) -- and I'd definitely also read "Hearding Hemingway's Cats." (Obviously!)
Sapiens was pretty good, as was Sixth Extinction.
Good to know. (Is there any of these books that you haven't read yet, or shouldn't I even bother asking? :))

Have you already read the sequel to "Sapiens" as well?
Those are the only two on this list I've read. And I retract on Sapines, which I am currently reading languidly. (I was thinking of Masters of the Planet, by Ian Tattersall.) Harari is prone to very large generalizations.

Did not know Sapiens had a sequel. What is the title?
"Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow" (looking towards the future instead of into the past -- sounds like a certain amount of of educated guesswork to me, which is why I'm more reticent about that one than I am about "Sapiens"). Also, the title implies the old notion of man making himself master of the universe -- for better or worse. I trust Harari to be able to deal with it advisedly, but still ... (shrug).
Murder by Death 7 days ago
I just put Soul of an Octopus on my 'maybe' shelf - the summary mentions an article she wrote about her friendship with an octopus, and the grief she felt when it died. So I'm not committing to this one until someone can tell me if it's going to make me cry or not. :) I'm a sissy, I know.
BrokenTune 7 days ago
It did??? :O
Murder by Death 7 days ago
Yep - from the summary of the book: "Sy Montgomery’s popular 2011 Orion magazine piece, “Deep Intellect,” about her friendship with a sensitive, sweet-natured octopus named Athena and the grief she felt at her death, went viral, indicating the widespread fascination with these mysterious, almost alien-like creatures."

It might not be in the book, in which case I'm totally going to read it, but if it is... gah, it makes me choke up just reading that sentence - I'd be a mess if I had to actually read about it. Science is not suppose to make you cry!
BrokenTune 7 days ago
Well, we have two options: we could bite the bullet and read it, or I can ask my friend how sad the book is on the Old Yeller scale.
Murder by Death 7 days ago
Friend - I definitely say go with the friend option. Another Old Yeller might be the end of me.
BrokenTune 7 days ago
I shall see if my friend remembers. :)
Most octopuses only last a year, so the poor thing probably just died of old age.
Murder by Death 6 days ago
Doesn't matter - I'll still blubber like crazy. :)
Lillelara 6 days ago
I have to admit, I don´t want to cry either while reading a science related book.
Waitaminute ... an Octopus called Athena?? :D