Ugh. Sucks when that happens!!
Carpe Librum 10 months ago
I've read this book and wondered what you would think. This sounds about like my reaction to it.
Lillelara 10 months ago
Yeah, I´m not the only one who didn´t like it. I skimread the rest of it. Nope, not my kind of book.
Was mine, too.
BrokenTune 10 months ago
I'm so sorry. I'd be peeved, too.
Lillelara 10 months ago
Thanks. I was this closed to post a Lucille Bluth gif. Such was my annoyence with this book ;)
BrokenTune 10 months ago
It sounds like this book would have needed Lucille Bluth gifs.
Lillelara 10 months ago
Hehe, absolutely.
Someone else whose opinion I trust didn't like it, either. Three out of three ... that's definitely three too many. Off my TBR it goes -- the entire series, in fact.
Lillelara 10 months ago
Oh my, you trust my opinion? Thanks for the compliment :). Yes, I wouldn´t recommend this book to anyone, as a matter of fact. The next time I´m in the mood to pick up historical mystery, I´m going for the next Shardlake novel.
THAT, of course, is always a safe choice! :)
Lillelara 10 months ago
I really miss him. The reason I´m dragging my feet reading the next book is that I´m always feeling sad for poor Shardlake.
I don't feel sad for him -- infuriated on his behalf, especially with the likes of Richard Rich (or Henry VIII, for that matter), but not sad ... rather, I applaud him for what, given what public opinion made of hunchbacks in his day, he has managed to achieve -- and I also applaud Sansom for presenting it all in a manner that makes it entirely believable, which is no small feat.
Lillelara 10 months ago
The sadness comes primarely towards the end of the books. Everytime I´m bummed out by the ending of the novels (I have read the first three so far). But I guess that´s life and a very true depiction of a hunchback in that time period. It´s just that the agony of the character becomes palpable while reading the novel (and I´m not the most emphatic reader, so Sansom has to be an exceptional writer to make me feel the way I feel).

Oh, that he definitely is -- and I hear you on "agony", *particularly* at the end of "Sovereign". Though on that score, as a matter of fact, wait 'til you've read "Revelation" ...
Lillelara 10 months ago
Well, "Revelation" is sitting on my shelf. I should read this rather sooner than later. You made me curious.
Brace yourself, then!
Carpe Librum 10 months ago
Team Matthew!! (Sorry, I have nothing to add but had to demonstrate my enthusiasm for Shardlake.)
Enthusiasm is fine -- all that's required! :D