Ugh. Sucks when that happens!!
Carpe Librum 2 weeks ago
I've read this book and wondered what you would think. This sounds about like my reaction to it.
Lillelara 2 weeks ago
Yeah, I´m not the only one who didn´t like it. I skimread the rest of it. Nope, not my kind of book.
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
I'm so sorry. I'd be peeved, too.
Lillelara 2 weeks ago
Thanks. I was this closed to post a Lucille Bluth gif. Such was my annoyence with this book ;)
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
It sounds like this book would have needed Lucille Bluth gifs.
Lillelara 2 weeks ago
Hehe, absolutely.
Someone else whose opinion I trust didn't like it, either. Three out of three ... that's definitely three too many. Off my TBR it goes -- the entire series, in fact.
Lillelara 2 weeks ago
Oh my, you trust my opinion? Thanks for the compliment :). Yes, I wouldn´t recommend this book to anyone, as a matter of fact. The next time I´m in the mood to pick up historical mystery, I´m going for the next Shardlake novel.
THAT, of course, is always a safe choice! :)
Lillelara 2 weeks ago
I really miss him. The reason I´m dragging my feet reading the next book is that I´m always feeling sad for poor Shardlake.
I don't feel sad for him -- infuriated on his behalf, especially with the likes of Richard Rich (or Henry VIII, for that matter), but not sad ... rather, I applaud him for what, given what public opinion made of hunchbacks in his day, he has managed to achieve -- and I also applaud Sansom for presenting it all in a manner that makes it entirely believable, which is no small feat.
Lillelara 2 weeks ago
The sadness comes primarely towards the end of the books. Everytime I´m bummed out by the ending of the novels (I have read the first three so far). But I guess that´s life and a very true depiction of a hunchback in that time period. It´s just that the agony of the character becomes palpable while reading the novel (and I´m not the most emphatic reader, so Sansom has to be an exceptional writer to make me feel the way I feel).

Oh, that he definitely is -- and I hear you on "agony", *particularly* at the end of "Sovereign". Though on that score, as a matter of fact, wait 'til you've read "Revelation" ...
Lillelara 2 weeks ago
Well, "Revelation" is sitting on my shelf. I should read this rather sooner than later. You made me curious.
Brace yourself, then!
Carpe Librum 2 weeks ago
Team Matthew!! (Sorry, I have nothing to add but had to demonstrate my enthusiasm for Shardlake.)
Enthusiasm is fine -- all that's required! :D