Char's Horror Corner 2 years ago
It does not meet all of your requirements, but I suggest The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. It's 662 pages, though. But there is a second one, combined they're over 1000 pages. ;)
Moonlight Reader 2 years ago
It would be series total, not per book. So that works. Thanks!
Debbie's Spurts 2 years ago
I'm not sure you want to start Name of the Wind yet. Oh, sure, it's one of the best books published in the last quarter century. Sure, it will hook you. But jiminy cricket is Rothfuss ever taking fricking forever to publish the third book. I'd wait until Door Into Stone was available for preorder before starting. I feel like I'm stalking the poor man I keep trying so often to see if out yet or if he posted an actual publish date yet.
Char's Horror Corner 2 years ago
They're right, it's true. He's not taking as long as George R.R. Martin, though, so there's that.
Debbie's Spurts 2 years ago
*snicker* and we've still only gotten to the second day of the story. Waiting an awful lot of years for that third day...
LunaLuss 2 years ago
not sure these totally suit your preferences but I recommend : Dark Moon
by David Gemmell and Scourge of the Betrayer by Jeff Salyards and the warded man
Moonlight Reader 2 years ago
Which is the least dark of the bunch? I am only familiar with The Warded Man.
LunaLuss 2 years ago
Ironically, Dark Moon is the least dark. lol
Elizabeth Moon - The Deed of Paksenarrion (you can get all three in a Kindle bundle).
Moonlight Reader 2 years ago
Oh, I forgot about that one. It's been recommended to me before!
Debbie's Spurts 2 years ago
Umm...there is rape in that series. Not really a huge amount of the plot and never graphic or pivotal to the series (and not in first books) but there is a rape of a major character. And the survivor doesn't just shrug it off and go on their merry way with no trauma.

It's a very favorite series for me, though. And the very first book, Sheepfarmer's Daughter is free in from publisher Baen (ebook free library). It starts off very detailed abiut military camps and basic training if that's a turn off for you. Paks is just an all time favorite female character for me, just very vivid and alive without being really wimpy or really super-powerful.

Hard to really explain the series or explain why so loved because the bare bones plot outline makes it sound just like every other epic fantasy.

There's also a more recent follow up series, Paladin's Legacy, that I'm currently reading.
Have you read the Queen of the Tearling series? Its filed as YA but it is definitely not. The first book is good straight fantasy that meets your requirements, the second book doesn't meet your requirements unfortunately - but they're good reads. So I figured I'd mention it.
Debbie's Spurts 2 years ago
I just read Queen of the Tearling and really enjoyed. It moved so fast for me and pulled me in so quickly that I didn't stop to analyze stuff that when I thought about it later actually made it a bad book with some of the bad things about YA. I recommend and like I said enjoyed it; but, I don't really understand why most of it's reviews seem to be so extreme love/hate ★★★★★/★☆☆☆☆ reviews, LOL.
The second book in the series left me with mixed feelings- but one of those situations where the third book could pull it all together. The first book was one of the better fantasy books I had read in a while. But I just sampled the Elizabeth Moon suggestion Books, Hockey suggested and now I reeeeaaaally want to read that.
I've wittered about this series a few times, but it really is that good. As Debbie says, the description makes it sound somewhat derivative, but it most definitely is not. The military stuff should be boring, but nope, it's fascinating. And Paksenarrion is such a great character. Go to Baen now and download the first book. It's free.

(PS. I'm not Elizabeth Moon, and I don't think Debbie is either.)
Debbie's Spurts 2 years ago
No, not quite old enough to be Moon. I haven't written bupkis. And no relation to Anne Rice despite my husband's last name (Rice). Took me forever to start Queen of Tearling, Name of the Wind and Sheepfarmer's Daughter because they were just so hyped and so recommended (and Paks sounded like so many other epic fantasies I thought it might be boring, another move this fellowship/troop of folk about a map endlessly Tolkien wannabe -- which it definitely was not).
Ignore that it's only 300 some pages and not the one I was thinking of
Riddle-Master: The Complete Trilogy(Riddle-Master #1-3) by Patricia A. McKillip here's the one I was thinking of.
It's a Hardback Life 2 years ago
So you wouldn't be able to do the whole series over vacation, but it works in 4-book cycles: Katharine Kerr's Deverry series. The first four in the series would probably cover the page number issue, and is mostly self-contained (each cycle is linked, but each is also a story arc of its own). There is a little bit of sexual violence but it is not a major plot driver- and it also depends on what version (original or "author's definitive") that you get of the 2nd book. Celtic setting, epic fantasy, sprawling cast, and some interesting takes on the old-fashioned Tolkien creature/race types.
Debbie's Spurts 2 years ago
I keep meaning to read that one myself. I'm in line on a library ebook waiting list for first book, Daggerspell.
It's a Hardback Life 2 years ago
Yay! I hope you like it.
Debbie's Spurts 2 years ago
Fortress in the Eye of Time by C.J. Cherryh. Okay, a fictional setting rather than Northern European and not the usual fellowship moving across fictional map. But a good fantasy series.

A very Celtic fantasy series is Chronicles of the Cheysuli. Just oozes Celt lore, first book is Shapechangers by Jennifer Roberson. (Not sure was completely rape free because read so long ago -- but at time published the books would not have gone into any details or dealt with other than giving a vague non-consensual vibe if it was there.)

Glasswrights Apprentice by Mindy Klasky. Medieval right down to the apprentice system and guilds. And not necessarily an author whose other books can be judged by this series.

Skewed Throne by Joshua Palmatier. Just another fantasy series I really enjoyed, with a vaguely medieval series with vaguely Viking wanting to invade race. Not really Northern European exactly.

If you go to a liked fantasy series page in fictfact and scroll down, they'll suggest more. A mix of really good picks and picks so popular they just show up everywhere like FSoG books.
It's not new, so you might have read it, but in case you haven't: Tad Williams's "Memory, Sorrow and Thorn" trilogy.

It's set in a world very much like Tolkien's ... without actually being Tolkien. The story is classic high fantasy; what with three swords of power (the titular Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn), humanoid, elf-like and dwarf-like races, animals straight out of a medieval bestiary, quest narrative / "underdog must save the world" from "the one" evil power set on possessing the three swords, war of the worlds / races / creatures, etc. (And the third book -- "To Green Angel Tower" -- alone meets your series total page requirement, I think. The others are shorter, but considerable bricks in and of themselves, too.)
The English Student 2 years ago
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever by Stephen Donaldson are very good (although there is a rape near the beginning of the first book). It's Tolkien, but with existential doubt - kind of a heavy read, but worth it, I think. There are three trilogies, plus a tenth book, so the page count is well over 1000, and the world is really rich and detailed.

Hope you enjoy your vacation :)
I read some of these, they were good, I was going to recommend.
Debbie's Spurts 2 years ago
That series really hooked me -- but was way grimmer than I would have read if hadn't gotten hooked.
Moonlight Reader 2 years ago
Thanks everyone! I am cleaning up the desk for vacation, so am in & out of contact!

Troy: I've read Lawhead's Robin Hood series & liked it. The Pendragon cycle is definitely on my to do list.

Jessica: I've read the McKillip & really liked it! Great suggestion!

Debbie: when I indicate I am opposed to rape, my opposition is the GRRM putting rape as the default setting for a culture. A non-gratuitous use of rape is fine - Daughter of the Forest is one of my favorite books of all kind, and it involves a sexual assault. The Kerr series sounds really good, and so does the Roberson series. I'll check out the others when I have a few minutes!

Themis-Athena: I've read the Tad Williams series! Thanks!
Debbie's Spurts 2 years ago
Cool, I only brought it up in case some sort of trigger for you or for someone who might be borrowing book or reading over your shoulder.
If you liked mckillip, I have more you will probably like. I will post a list. Eta 30 minutes. I have to go through my physical bookshelf.
C. P. Lesley 2 years ago
Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Tales? They start with The Last Kingdom and go for nine books, to date, so they have to be over 1,000 pages by now. Very military, but you can skip those bits if you like. And Uhtred is strangely compelling, even to a "take those war books and shove 'em" type like me. ;-)
I've got those on my TBR shelf. They were an Amazon daily deal for $1.99 each, which I thought was too good to turn down.
The Malazan Book Of The Fallen(Steven Erikson)
The Gentleman Bastards Scott Lynch (I remember liking this alot but details aree blurry)
I second Gentleman Bastards!

I would not recommend Malazan, since she said no Grimdark, and that series can be pretty damn dark. I loved it, though.
How could I forget Lies of Locke Lamora?! Scott Lynch! Yes, that's a great book. :)
The Fionavar Tapestry?
Chris' Fish Place 2 years ago
Denis McKiernan? Janny Wurts? David Eddings? Michelle West?
Two series I love that fit in that list
The Greyfriar, Susan and Clay Griffith

Lord of the Fading Lands, C.L. Wilson
Moonlight Reader 2 years ago
Oh, my, you all have come through in spades! Now all I have to do is pick one!
Debbie's Spurts 2 years ago
Pick more than one, you never know what you'll be in the mood to read ...
Olga Godim 2 years ago
Sharon Shinn. Either her Twelve Houses series or her Samaria novels. Both series consist of stand-alone novels; you could read them in any order.
"Savages" by K. J. Parker.