Abandoned by user 7 years ago
I was at Starbucks today, and their little sign referred to their "curated" collection of overpriced organic snack foods. I almost lost my mind.
Abandoned by user 7 years ago
Ugh.
Abandoned by user 7 years ago
I am curating a selection of curse words, to unleash on the next pretentious moron who uses the word "curated" to describe something stupid.
So, when I write a blog, I'm not really curating my words? :P
I got one right and wrong.

That's what you get when you're running on no sleep, I guess!
as someone with library and archival training i definitely use "curate" for more than just museum collections.

but yes, it's being used as a catch phrase and it is super annoying
i suppose we can always do word plays and think of those random "curated" collections as really meaning a vicar's minion put them together
Debbie's Spurts 7 years ago
Minions!
Debbie's Spurts 7 years ago
Sorry. No meaning -- I just love minions. The little yellow fellows cheer me up.
Debbie's Spurts 7 years ago
Ugh. Starbucks and other retailers "select" or "pick" products. They do not " curate" them.
Mystereity 7 years ago
ha ha ha I was just thinking this the other day, what a useless buzzword. In this case it was for a tv channel and it said "Dove Channel - Entertainment curated for families" and I thought...give me a break!
Ani's Book Abyss 7 years ago
A little off-subject, maybe. I recently came across the word "curate" to describe a clergyman in one of the historical mysteries I'm reading. Shows how much I know about words, i guess, after looking it up and finding it appropriate.

But I do agree--sometimes there are those random buzzwords that just tend to get out of hand. And then society manages to create a whole new definition for it thanks to someone in the marketing world who decided it would be a good idea.
Debbie's Spurts 7 years ago
Curate is to select (or "staff picks") somewhat as polenta is to grits -- you can charge more for curated selections than for the staff picks.
That "curate" is a noun, and pronounced differently, too (the emphasis is on the first syllable). The clergyman, I mean. That's totally appropriate, as it's his job title - he's the assistant to the rector or vicar. (Historically, paid very poorly as a rule.)

Otherwise, yes, the verb is pretentious if you're not running a museum, archive, or library.