Tigus 2 years ago
I enjoyed Rule Britannia, if you're going to continue reading Du Maurier. her take on doing an "SF" novel is worth a gander.
Char's Horror Corner 2 years ago
LOL
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Haha. I do like your ending better, too. My ending would have the story stop at an earlier point in time and leave some questions unanswered - but obviously without ever following up with a Jem-packed sequel.
Lillelara 2 years ago
You should read "My Cousin Rachel". Philip and Rachel are two very special characters and this book is totally messed up (but I loved it).
And Max de Winter is husband of the year compared to Everard Wemyss in Ellizabeth von Arnim´s "Vera". Honestly, Everard Wemyss gets the "biggest douche canou in literature" award from me.
"biggest douche canou in literature". Nope, Angel Clare still holds that award for me.

And give The House on the Strand a try. It's another of du Maurier's SF attempts. It's a bit weird and the ending annoyed me, but other than that it was quite entertaining.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
On the "biggest douche canou in literature" contest, I am also going with Angel Clare. However, I have not read Vera, ..... might be tempted to do that now. For research purposes, obviously.

I quite liked The King's General, but the main guy in it is a bit of a jerk, too.
Lillelara 2 years ago
Angel Clare is in Thomas Hardy´s "Tess of the D´Urberville", right? I haven´t read that one, so both of you might be right.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
He is. I wish I could recommend the book, but I would be kidding myself...
Angel Clare MUST DIE.

That is all.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Haha. Very to the point.
Rane Aria 2 years ago
du Maurier doesn't believe in HEA's or romance but it could have been the outlook of the time cause I always thought Heyer's couples would have not be happy in a sense
Moonlight Madness 2 years ago
I'm not sure that du Maurier believes in humanity, actually.
Rane Aria 2 years ago
that to...or common sense or true walking distances?
BrokenTune 2 years ago
@MR I think you may be on to something. From what I remember of the books I've read, the outlook on humanity was rather bleak and full of distrust, suspicion, and disappointment.

I would say that the main character in the King's General was probably the one who had most faith in humanity, but even she grew to be expecting the worst from people all the time.
I liked "The Glass Makers." It's set in the French Revolution - in the countryside, which is more unusual - and is about the past of her own family.
Murder by Death 2 years ago
Thank you Moonlight Murder for the spoiler tags - because my book is STILL NOT HERE! (Although my Ray Bradbury finally did appear.) Thank god for the koalas and the kangaroos, because I certainly didn't move here for the efficiency of the post. :P
BrokenTune 2 years ago
That's ridiculous. Where is your book shipping from?
Moonlight Madness 2 years ago
You'd think you lived on the arctic research station, and the book had to conquer sea gales and polar bears to get to you.
Murder by Death 2 years ago
The book is shipping from the US - Thriftbooks, which to be fair is usually o.k. (not great, but not sloth speed) and this time I payed for expedited shipping, so that was a massive fail.

Shipping from UK is generally pretty speedy (wordery and bookdepository about 10 days or so), but the US is all over the place; sometimes it's here in 10 days, sometimes it's over 30 days. Except iHerb - I don't know how the hell they do it, but I get their stuff insanely fast - I placed an order on Wednesday this week and I got a text this morning saying it was going to be delivered today - TODAY! and the shipping cost less than it did for my books!
HAHAHA loved this review! Gave me a god chuckle.
I see the 1939 movie version of Jamaica Inn was on TCM earlier this week (starring Charles Laughton, a very young Maureen O'Hara, and directed by Hitchcock). I was almost tempted to watch it! To see if they were able to make a decent plot out of it.
BrokenTune 2 years ago