Obsidian Blue 7 months ago
So ready for this!
Tannat 7 months ago
I have to say this looks pretty fun, although I'm not sure how many rolls I'll actually play.
Obsidian Blue 7 months ago
I love that the most :-) heck you can play two or three rolls and just see what shakes out ;-) I have my virtual dice ready!
Ani's Book Abyss 7 months ago
I've printed out all my game cards and am contemplating creating an actual physical game board to play with, though I know I'm too lazy to do so. lol Everything looks great, and game play sounds a bit complicated, but I think I'll get it once I get started. Thank you two so much for putting so much time into another cool reading game!

There are a few things I'm confused about, but I'll asked them in the Q&A discussion when I figure out what I'm trying to ask. :P
Debbie's Spurts 7 months ago
If you have a book in mind, a Tip for seeing if a book is on goodreads shelves/genres (some of those are a monstrous amount of pages with a glitch that goodreads has ignored for years that locks it up after a certain number of scrolling thru screens) --

Using "Lonesome Dove" as an example and trying to see if in Western shelf/genre:

The URL of an edition of the work on goodreads contains the item/record number "256008" (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/256008.Lonesome_Dove); put that number after users in below URL with "western" after the last "=" sign.

Enter "https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/users/256008?shelf=western"; without the quotation marks to see if there.

If book is in the genre or on the shelf, you'll see who shelved it. If not found, it will say "sorry, no users found" -- for example, if you check if anyone put it in SF Slipstream subgenre "https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/users/256008?shelf=slipstream";
Portable Magic 7 months ago
Thanks, Debbie, this is a useful tip!
Debbie's Spurts 7 months ago
I may have to try audiobooks for this one so I don't have to complete books before moving on.

Should have a useful side effect for booklikes database in that lots of stray audiobooks could see librarian requests to combine with their print versions (the narrator makes author names not matchup which causes booklikes combine to flub so have to spotted by a librarian or someone hit "report" to request the editions be combined).
Moonlight Reader 7 months ago
I always have an audiobook going, but it also takes longer to listen than I would want to spend on one space! Hence, the rule!
Debbie's Spurts 7 months ago
I'm a serial starter with books. I usually have a lot I am "currently reading."
Tannat 7 months ago
Hmm...could we start a book and abandon it for the purpose of the game so we could move on but it would no longer count towards our bank?
Moonlight Reader 7 months ago
Oh, I meant to add a rule about this!

Yes, DNF's are allowed. You can count the # of pages read to get your payout - so if you read 120 pages before DNF'ing, you get $2.00 for your bank. The only caveat is that you have to read 10% of the book to get any payout.
BrokenTune 7 months ago
Wowser! That must have taken such a lot of work to put together. Thank you so much!
Tannat 7 months ago
On the plus side, the game could be recycled more or less endlessly with just a few tweaks here and there for variety (although variety is built in).
Moonlight Reader 7 months ago
You're welcome! It did take a bit of time, but it was fun! As I said in another comment, I'm in a GR group that does this sort of thing, so I had a bit of a head start with putting together the rules and stuff. The content is original, but the framework was in place.
Portable Magic 7 months ago
I was thinking the same thing - that since the structure of the game won't have each player using every square, and it's random chance for which square we land on, this game could be re-played every year, and maybe just refresh some of the lands/squares occasionally to keep it new.
Debbie's Spurts 7 months ago
Maybe even future rounds have a square asking you to read any book that someone read for a previous year's booklikes-opoly.
Line Bookaholic 7 months ago
I finally took the time to read all these posts to see what it was about (it's 11.45pm where I live, so it means it starts in 15minutes actually.. it was about time!). I'm so excited about this, it seems so cool! I'm not sure I'll have the courage to post about my progress all the time but I will definitely take part in this. Thanks a lot for creating this!!
BrokenTune 7 months ago
Courage? It's a game. It's meant to be fun. And you're playing with friends here. :)
Line Bookaholic 7 months ago
Yes, I mean, I'm really lazy so I know I won't post all the time to upload my progress. But I know it will be fun, I'm so excited :D !
Moonlight Reader 7 months ago
I'm glad you are going to join us!
the dilemma of reading 7 months ago
This is incredible! You two have done such a great job in thinking this out. If I wasn't trying to make it through the last weeks of school, I'd definitely be playing--as is, I'm so excited to see everyone else playing! Thank you guys for taking the time to plan and create this.
Tannat 7 months ago
You can always join in later. :)
Obsidian Blue 7 months ago
Thanks! And remember all this goes til the end of July. So feel free to pop in and out :-)
Arrrgh!! I KNEW I'd be missing out on a ton of fun by staying away from this place! This looks fabulous, and I wish I'd returned early enough to still make it sense for me to join. Anyway, I'll enjoy watching from the sidelines ... you've done a great job yet again on another great game!
Portable Magic 5 months ago
Heeeeyyyyyy welcome back! I'm actually planning on informally using the game rules even after the game is officially over, because it's been a useful tool for plowing through my physical TBR shelves. It's made me pick up books that I bought years ago and don't even remember why, instead of recency bias.
Thanks for the welcome back! :)

Yes, that's part of what makes these games so great -- they're not only wonderfully conceived and there's a ton of great artwork going into the game boards to boot, they're also truly great tools in busting your TBR ...!!
Tannat 5 months ago
I think there's actually still more than a more to go, and with the rules "shake-up" with the doubled money awards and increased awards for landing on a square more than once, it might make sense to help knock off some of your TBR in a fun way if you have some time to read again.
Well, yes -- I guess taking a look at least might not hurt ...