Debbie's Spurts 12 months ago
Open Road sometimes offers books in Kindle Unlimited. Alas, not this one.
Murder by Death 12 months ago
I have Black Amber on my pile too - I might have to give that a go when I finish up my current read.
The Quilty Reader 12 months ago
I just finished that one & liked it better than Hunter's Green. These books are so high on the nostalgia factor for me, though, that I think I probably ignore a lot of flaws.
Murder by Death 12 months ago
I really liked it too - until the end and that was purely my own personal trigger; If I could look beyond that and see it objectively, it's quite a powerful scene and has quite an impact. But even now I have that scene burned in my brain, so it's one I'll not ever read again.

But boy was that plotting twisty...
The Quilty Reader 12 months ago
I think I can identify the scene you're referring to - involving Yasmine? Yeah, that was really disturbing, wasn't it. Effective, but disturbing.
Murder by Death 12 months ago
Yep - that's the one! I was so angry at that point I almost stopped reading. I skipped the whole scene (or as much as I could anyway) and kept on, but it kept being brought up, so it really ruined the whole last part of the book for me.
The Quilty Reader 12 months ago
I had a similar reaction, and actually meant to add something to my review warning about animal abuse. It was a chilling scene. I can't say that it was gratuitous or ineffective, because it really did make a point, but I hate animal abuse in all forms, so I was shocked and horrified by it.

It was very much like that Wuthering Heights scene where Heathcliff tries to hang the dog. Just horrible.
Murder by Death 12 months ago
Which is why I'll never read Wuthering Heights. Someone here on BL mentioned it a couple of years ago (maybe you?) and I thought "No - scratch that Brontë off the list".
The Quilty Reader 12 months ago
That book is bat shit. That's part of the reason it's bat shit. It is chock full of all kinds of abuse.