Debbie's Spurts 4 months ago
Open Road sometimes offers books in Kindle Unlimited. Alas, not this one.
Murder by Death 4 months ago
I have Black Amber on my pile too - I might have to give that a go when I finish up my current read.
Moonlight Reader 4 months ago
I just finished that one & liked it better than Hunter's Green. These books are so high on the nostalgia factor for me, though, that I think I probably ignore a lot of flaws.
Murder by Death 4 months ago
I really liked it too - until the end and that was purely my own personal trigger; If I could look beyond that and see it objectively, it's quite a powerful scene and has quite an impact. But even now I have that scene burned in my brain, so it's one I'll not ever read again.

But boy was that plotting twisty...
Moonlight Reader 4 months ago
I think I can identify the scene you're referring to - involving Yasmine? Yeah, that was really disturbing, wasn't it. Effective, but disturbing.
Murder by Death 4 months ago
Yep - that's the one! I was so angry at that point I almost stopped reading. I skipped the whole scene (or as much as I could anyway) and kept on, but it kept being brought up, so it really ruined the whole last part of the book for me.
Moonlight Reader 4 months ago
I had a similar reaction, and actually meant to add something to my review warning about animal abuse. It was a chilling scene. I can't say that it was gratuitous or ineffective, because it really did make a point, but I hate animal abuse in all forms, so I was shocked and horrified by it.

It was very much like that Wuthering Heights scene where Heathcliff tries to hang the dog. Just horrible.
Murder by Death 4 months ago
Which is why I'll never read Wuthering Heights. Someone here on BL mentioned it a couple of years ago (maybe you?) and I thought "No - scratch that Brontë off the list".
Moonlight Reader 4 months ago
That book is bat shit. That's part of the reason it's bat shit. It is chock full of all kinds of abuse.