BrokenTune 3 months ago
Well, well, ... to start this off:

- Ella K. Maillart "Forbidden Journey" I highly recommend and it is much better (imo) than Peter Fleming's accompanying "News from Tartary"
- Peter Frankopan's "The Silk Roads" is supposed to be really good to. I have it but haven't started it, yet.

Will have more later on.
Moonlight Reader 3 months ago
These are exactly the kind of recommendations I am looking for! They both look great! Thank you!
Tigus 3 months ago
I recommend two WWII books:

Odette, by Jerrard Tickell
and
Game of Spies, by Paddy Ashdown
Moonlight Reader 3 months ago
Again, these both look amazing - thank you so much! I'm not sure which one to start with!
Portable Magic 3 months ago
Much of what I read are memoirs and so wouldn't interest you, but:

Ones that I've read and can recommend: Five Days at Memorial by Sheri Fink; The Worst Hard Time by Timothy Egan; Go Down Together: The Untold Story of Bonnie and Clyde by Jeff Guinn.

Ones that have been recommended to me but I haven't read yet: Abigail Adams by Woody Holton; Fever by Mary Beth Keane; A Small Town Near Auschwitz: Ordinary Nazis and the Holocaust by Mary Fulbrook; The Last Place on Earth by Roland Huntford

And I don't know if this falls under "memoir" for you, but I picked up A Question of Choice by Sarah Weddington after hearing her speak about her experience as one of the attorneys in the Roe v Wade case. I still haven't read it though. :(
Moonlight Reader 3 months ago
My weirdness about memoir is primarily because I find them to be quite self-indulgent. A narrowly focused memoir that is about more than just "I used to be a drug addict, and now I am not through the power of pomegranate juice and my commitment to Jesus" or "I'm a vacuous celebrity, look at meeeeee," would be fine with me!
Portable Magic 3 months ago
Then the Sarah Weddington book might work for you. Although I think part of it is a discussion of the current landscape of reproductive rights, and it was written over a decade ago, so that part might be sadly dated by now.
Chris' Fish Place 3 months ago
Vera Atkins: A Life in Secrets by Sarah Helm, Rising 44 by Norman Davis, The Perfect Horse, The Witness House by Kohl, History on Trial by Lipstadt, Spy Princess by Basu, Flames in the Field by Kamer, The Farm in the Green Mountains by Herdan-Zuckmayer
charlton 3 months ago
The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down: A Hmong Child, Her American Doctors, and the Collision of Two Cultures
by: Anne Fadiman (author)

I thought this book was extraordinary (sp).
You learn about Lia Lee (the child with epilepsy)and also about the Hmong society.
This book is heart-wrenching,there are many sad moments.And as for as non-fiction it's about a young girl and the Hmong society in California.
Char's Horror Corner 3 months ago
I second Portable Magic's rec of Go Down Together: The Untold True Story of Bonnie and Clyde.

I recommend Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann.
My Never Ending List 3 months ago
The Librarian of Auschwitz, The Fire By Night, These Is My Words: The Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine, The Radium Girls,
Moonlight Reader 3 months ago
I knew that my BL peeps would not fail me! Thank you all! There are some gems recommended here - now, I just have to decide which one to delve into first!
Tigus 3 months ago
that NF Reading List you've been making as a result of these suggestions...you've put up something called A Game of Spies, by Altman, whereas I suggested Game of Spies, by Paddy Ashdown. just making the distinction because, even if you leave the Altman book and passed on the Ashdown book wouldn't bother me in the slightest, but the fact is I'm pretty sure Altman's A Game of Spies is fiction. you might be in for a good novel, though! anyway, a handy ISBN to zero in on the Ashdown book and keep things nonfiction would be: B01N3YPR08
Moonlight Reader 3 months ago
Thank you!
Moonlight Reader 3 months ago
I created a reading list of all of these recommendations, which I will likely add to with things that I come across. I just have to say, though, YOU GUYS!

Having now had a chance to basically read the synopsis of each of these books, honestly, I am stunned at how bad ass and awesome and perfect so many of these books look. You are all amazing!
Portable Magic 3 months ago
It looks like a terrific list and my TBR is growing even as I'm engaged in a project to shrink it! And for those who have trouble finding the lists area of BL, here's a link to your list: http://booklikes.com/apps/reading-lists/863/2018-narrative-nf-list
BrokenTune 3 months ago
It is an awesome list. I had to add a few of them to my own shelves, too.
I'll be adding several of these to my TBR, too. (Ah, well. New Year's resolutions ...)
Some more (just in case :D -- sorry, I only just saw your original post):

* Gorgeously illustrated and really informative: Terry Townsend: "Jane Austen's Hampshire"
* Anything by Antonia Fraser, but particularly "The Warrior Queens", "The Weaker Vessel" (about women's role in the 17th century), "Faith and Treason" (on the Gunpowder Plot), "Mary, Queen of Scots," and "The Wives of Henry VIII"
* Thomas Penn: "Winter King" (about Henry VII, the founder of the Tudor dynasty)
* The title sounds like a memoir, but it's actually a (gut-wrenching) (then-)present-day record of Berlin in the decade leading up to WWII: Joseph Roth: "What I Saw: Reports from Berlin 1920-1933"
* A travel memoir (in interconnected episodes): Nicolas Bouvier: "The Way of the World" (about his 1950s trip, in a battered-down car and together with an artist friend, all the way from Switzerland to India, across Eastern Europe -- the book starts in Serbia -- across Turkey, Persia and Afghanistan)
* Plenty of food for thought: Richard Goldstone: "For Humanity: Reflections of a War Crimes Investigator"
* Amusing and informative, on one of the 18th century's most infamous cons: Tom Standage: "The Turk: The Life and Times of the Famous Eighteenth-Century Chess-Playing Machine"
* By an author who knew the city inside out (also, a surprisingly quick read): Robert Louis Stevenson: "Edinburgh: Picturesque Notes"
* Both charming and informative (and also a fairly quick read): Anna Quindlen: "Imagined London: A Tour of the World's Greatest Fictional City"
* An antidote to every sort of pseudo-science: Richard Dawkins: "The Magic of Reality"
* And last but not least, the current read of the Flat Book Society: Helen Czerski: "Storm in a Teacup: The Physics of Everyday Life" (and trust me, I'm not into physics *at all*, so for me to be recommending this really means something).
Murder by Death 3 months ago
I'm going to recommend a book that covers history, crime and science: The Poisoner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York by Deborah Blum, and if you want something light-weight, that will remind you that America used to be nuts in a good way, I'd say One Summer: America, 1927 by Bill Bryson. Easy reading and high nostalgia factor.

I also have Headstrong: 52 Women Who Changed Science-and the World by Rachel Swaby on my TBR pile, but I have no idea if it's good, bad or meh.
The Open Book 3 months ago
I recently purchased "The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women" by Kate Moore on the strength of a segment I read that I was absolutely haunted by. I anticipate it being a gut punch of a book, but worthwhile. I'm also looking at "The Unwomanly Face of War: An Oral History of Women in World War II" by Svetlana Alexievitch (translation by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokonsky.
Debbie's Spurts 3 months ago
"Whiskey Women - The Untold Story of How Women Saved Bourbon, Scotch, and Irish Whiskey" by Fred Minnick.

Edges into memoir territory but also "The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates" by
: Tavis Smiley and Wes Moore. It was a real life book club read so I may not be the best judge.
Elentarri's Book Blog 3 months ago
The Invention of Nature by Andrea Wulf. If you are interested in popular science books you are welcome to join The Flat Book Society Book Club:

Also, a list of books (some of them not terribly science orientated) that people in the book club suggested/ recommended:
Elentarri's Book Blog 3 months ago
Anything by Adrienne Mayor, especially The Poison King and Amazons.
The Celts by Alice Roberts