Mary's Books 2 months ago
I have 51 out 100, but then most of the ones I read were for school, college, or because someone I knew had read it and said give it a try. I am curious about this series, but not sure if I will have time or energy to watch it. I may look it up and mark the show for watching and see what transpires.
Char's Horror Corner 2 months ago
I've read 43 of 100. But really, the Twilight Saga? LOL
"Fifty Shades of Grey"?! Please.
Char's Horror Corner 2 months ago
I guess we have to remember that this is a "most loved" list and not a "best books" list? ;)
... of a total pool of 7,200 participants. I know surveys like these always just use sample groups, but 7,200 strikes me as an extremely small sample for a population as large as that of the U.S. And then, just a few paragraphs further down, I also get to this: "Each advisory panel member was permitted to select one book for discussion and possible inclusion on the top 100 list from the longer list of survey results." So how do I know whether "Fifty Shades of Grey", "War and Peace" or any other title, for that matter, is on the list because a substantial number of people actually listed it as their favorite ... or because one of the members of the advisory panel selected it for inclusion and the creators of the final list decided it actually is one of the books the list can't possibly be without? (As a side note, I didn't find a place anywhere that tells me who the members of the adivsory panel are / were.)

Don't get me wrong, I endorse PBS's initiatives to foster the love of reading, and I like the intent behind this one. But the title strikes me as complete hyperbole -- and the criteria for inclusion in the list are about as subjective as those for *all* lists of this sort.
The Quilty Reader 2 months ago
It's a very small sample size.

At least Agatha made the list!
Yes -- so she did! :)
Merle 2 months ago
Thanks for sharing! I've read 49 (counting a couple that I read a significant chunk of but abandoned, not counting a couple I abandoned early on). An interesting mix of good books, terrible books, and books that will be forgotten in a couple of years. Though I have to admit to some suspicion about who these people were who said something like Gulliver's Travels is their favorite book, it does seem like a pretty good cross section of books Americans like. (Admittedly, I genuinely did think War and Peace was fantastic, but that's much more recent.) Only a few I'd never heard of.
Tea, Rain, Book 2 months ago
5 out of the 100.

My other reactions include "WTF The Left Behind Series? Fifty Fucking Shades of Gray?"
The Quilty Reader 2 months ago
I know! Crazy, eh?
Mary's Books 2 months ago
I actually enjoyed the Left Behind Series, but it was a long time ago, but I really find no interest in Shades of Grey. But it is crazy that they are included. There are so many others that could have been included.
Hooked on Books 2 months ago
I've only read 18 but I've seen a lot more of the movies. Does that count? : ) J/J lol