Tigus 10 months ago
I enjoyed a film version of this, titled The Deadly Affair, starring James Mason.
BrokenTune 10 months ago
There is a James Mason film of this??? How did I not know this??
Thanks, Tigus. I now need to find that.
Tigus 10 months ago
it’s my understanding that the film is much altered from the book—other Smiley books’ film rights owned by other studios, le Carre himself not a big fan of Call of the Dead with the script writers agreeing and making many changes...but I like the film a lot. in the late stages, a section of, I think, a Royal Shakespeare Theatre production is used (with Spy shenanigans going on in the audience) and one of the Shakespeare thespians is a young David Warner. I’m a Maximillian Schell fan, and he’s in it too.
BrokenTune 10 months ago
Schell, too, huh? I definitely have to watch this.
Mike Finn 10 months ago
I skipped all the Smiley books and started with " A Legacy Of Spies" which was published last September. It's fresh, relevant and beautifully written and doesn't really require any previous knowledge. https://wordpress.com/post/mikefinnsfiction.wordpress.com/18935
BrokenTune 10 months ago
It's on my TBR already. :) Le Carre is one I want to read more of, but he has been hit or miss for me.
BrokenTune 10 months ago
I can thoroughly recommend The Russia House. That one blew me away even tho I knew the plot already (because I used to like the film ... a lot).

The Spy Who Came in from the Cold was my first Le Carre and I read it in the dead of winter. I think that added to the already depressing atmosphere. Still, it is a good one.

I'm not that into Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and the other Smileys I've read, but The Spy Who ... just somehow worked for me. It is as gritty but not as clean cut as Berlin Game, I think.

The Night Manager was a DNF for me, tho.

If you need a lighter, even funny, Le Carre, head for The Tailor of Panama - it is quite similar to Greene's Our Man in Havana, tho, and I would recommend to start with Greene's original.
Moonlight Reader 10 months ago
Our Man in Havana is next up for me, once I finish Red Sparrow and Message from Malaga.
BrokenTune 10 months ago
Oh, I'm really excited for you. I hope you'll love it.
Also, it fits well into the Boozy Spy Theme ... you'll see. One of my favourite scenes. :D