BrokenTune 3 weeks ago
I found Five Red Herrings exasperating and well below standard for what I have come to expect from Sayers. I may have ranted about it while reading, then moved on to Have His Case, too.
Moonlight Reader 3 weeks ago
I would literally get so bored when I opened it that I would wander off to clean the kitchen. It was going to take me forever to plow through.
BrokenTune 3 weeks ago
Interesting. The book made me look forward to cleaning the bathroom.
BrokenTune 3 weeks ago
I loved Have His Carcase, tho. The exchanges between Peter and Harriet were so utterly brilliant. Even if I was a nervous wreck at the end...I love their story.
Moonlight Reader 3 weeks ago
Maybe that was actually the point of the book - to inspire house cleaning?
Moonlight Reader 3 weeks ago
Me, too. I'm really looking forward to Gaudy Night.
BrokenTune 3 weeks ago
I finished Murder Must Advertise last week, and may or may not re-read The Nine Tailors, but Gaudy Night will be one where I'll make sure I have a weekend with no other plans. I'm really looking forward to that one.

Btw, I am saving all the short stories up for when I finish the novels. :)
Wise plan, re: saving the short stories. Tip: Get the "collected edition" if you can -- it also includes two stories that shine a light on what Sayers imagined Peter and Harriet's married life (and life as parents) would have been like. Not sure you'd agree with everything about that, but I'm still sorry we only ever got the one book featuring them married ("Busman's Honeymoon") straight from Sayers herself.
BrokenTune 3 weeks ago
Argh, bugger, I got them as the separate books...
Fingers crossed they're in the final one then!
BrokenTune 3 weeks ago
Which ones are they (the stories)?
BrokenTune 3 weeks ago
The last two in the books I have are The Secret Policeman and Tallboys, both of which seem to feature the Wimsey offspring.
Cool -- yes, those are the ones I mean!
BrokenTune 3 weeks ago