BrokenTune 3 years ago
I'm in if you'll have me!
Abandoned by user 3 years ago
Ummmm, yes. Duh!
Lillelara 3 years ago
I can order a copy at my local library, so I would like to join you as well :)
Abandoned by user 3 years ago
Yay! Mine is also a library copy.
I'm in! (was already planning on reading this year, so this rocks :D)
Excellent!
Abandoned by user 3 years ago
This is great! I've added a list of participants and a couple of proposed tags to the post.
Person Of Interest 3 years ago
I own the audiobook, so will give the bubby read a go too.
Mike Finn 3 years ago
I really enjoyed this and "A Glass Of Blessings". Pym writes with insight, empathy and accuracy about a section of society that is seldom centre stage in fiction. I'm not sure if I'll be able to join but I'm looking forward to reading your reactions to Pym's writing.
Murder by Death 3 years ago
Oh how I love the pymalong tag. :D
BrokenTune 3 years ago
It's such a great tag. :)
3 years ago
Count me in but would appreciate an explanation of how this works and how to follow the conversation. TIA
Abandoned by user 3 years ago
Hi, Peregrinations! It's pretty informal, really. If you don't follow everyone doing the Pymalong, follow them so their posts appear on your dashboard, and they will do the same for the other readers. Acquire your book to start reading on the 25th. On the 25th, start reading and posting updates using the tags. If you fall behind, don't worry - typically one of us has a late start because life gets in the way. If you want to collect all the posts in one place to read them, click on the tag. Once you finish the book, write a wrap up post to let everyone know what you thought.
3 years ago
Thank you, MR. I am now set up and ready to read!
Mike Finn 3 years ago
I just listened to the audiobook sample on audible. Who had the bright idea of commissioning some patronizing wannabe intellectual to write an ntroduction manspalning Barabara Pym and then put THAT as the audiobook sample?

Dear God almighty. What kind of idiots run publishing?

OK. I’m joining the buddy read. That way I get to write a new review.
BrokenTune 3 years ago
Hooray for you joining the BR.

But what's this about the introduction? Does the Audible sample match the McCall-Smith introduction of the kindle version? I have not read it but was considering getting the kindle version.
Jesus, couldn't they have found a woman author to introduce this -- and if it had to be a man, did it have to be McCall Smith?

I've been wondering why the audio version is narrated by a man to begin with ...
BrokenTune 3 years ago
Such a shame my library's copy is on loan beyond our BR start date. :(
Mike Finn 3 years ago
I've downloaded the audiobook now. The introduction is about four minutes long and seems to be an article that McCall-Smith wrote for the Guardian in 2008. They've employed another narrator to read it out and there's no credit in the audiobook to who wrote the introduction of why. It seems to be a well-intentioned attempt to "rehabilitate" Pym and bring her to a wider audience but it's done the wrong way by the wrong person.
I undestand now why Virago Press had to be a freestanding publishing house back in the day.
Pym's work stands on its merit. It doesn't need defending.
Sigh... rant over.
Anyway, the rest of the book seems to be narrated by a woman so I'll keep it and use it to join in the BR.
BrokenTune 3 years ago
Oh, that is really good to know. Thanks Mike!
That sounds like a great read, and the author is totally new for me. I'd love to join in!
Abandoned by user 3 years ago
Sweet! Get hold of your book - we read on Friday!
I need to see where I can get a copy! It's not available for Kindle, so I'll have to do some looking around.
Abandoned by user 3 years ago
Are you in the U.S.? It is available for kindle, but it's expensive!

I checked my copy out of the library. If it takes you a few days to start reading, I'm sure you won't be alone.
Ok, found the Audible version (there were two versions available; I chose the one without the introduction discussed above).
No, I'm in Canada. Not available in either Kindle or iBooks, so I went for audio.
Abandoned by user 3 years ago
Great! I just followed you as well - thanks for commenting & we're delighted to have you!
BrokenTune 3 years ago
Sweet! Thanks for the reminder! I have the book ready for when I get back home on Friday night. :D
Can't wait to try Pym's books.
Abandoned by user 3 years ago
Yay! I thought you weren't going to be able to get your hands on it - so glad to hear that you did!
BrokenTune 3 years ago
It was returned to library early! So I managed to pick it up today before leaving town. :)
Thanks for the reminder. Have my book, and everyone followed, and quite hyped