Lillelara 4 years ago
So far I´m really loving it, too :)
BrokenTune 4 years ago
I'm enjoying it, too, but there are parts that really grate on me, and I can't put my finger on why or what exactly that is.
Person Of Interest 4 years ago
I'm up to Chapter 5, and so far I quite like the story and writing style. I'm really curious to see how things are going to unfold for all these characters.
4 years ago
"that wants to deny her value because she is an unmarried gentlewoman" Arrghh, and then turn to her every time they have a problem that they can't or don't want to fix. She never says no to a task she really doesn't want to do but then complains when she feels put upon, feels it is her "duty" to perform the task requested no matter how unsavory. IMHO, she is her own worst enemy in this regard. She is the enabler. Good thing this is the turning point in her life and she is finally truly growing up.
Person Of Interest 4 years ago
I agree. As I've gotten further into the story, I've become increasingly uncomfortable with how Mildred feels she needs to do whatever people ask her to. I want to finish the book before I comment further, though. What do you think of the audio narration?
4 years ago
There are two narrators, one reading the UK edition and the other Jane Entwhistle, reading the US, my version. I would love to be able to compare the two. No actually I would love to hear a Brit comparing the two. I can tell when Entwhistle uses regional accents as opposed to BBC speak but I can't tell you if the accent chosen is appropriate to the character or even properly done. For me, Entwhistle is fine. I can understand her,her pacing is good and she isn't overly dramatic.
Person Of Interest 4 years ago
I also have the US version and was wondering whether Gerry Halligan infuses her narration with more humor. Entwhistle gets Mildred's irritation across well but I don't feel like I'm hearing the moments of humor as clearly; could just be me. I actually switched back to listening to my Heyer book/Cotillion for a while yesterday because Excellent Women was starting to depress me.
I loved Gerry Halligan's narration -- and yes, she definitely gets the subtle humor across.