BrokenTune 5 months ago
I told you it was bad.
Moonlight Snowfall 5 months ago
You did. And it was. It was so, so bad. It really had no redeeming qualities as an adaptation.

Well, maybe one. At least she didn't change the motive/murderer like she did in Ordeal by Innocence.

Honestly, though, why is she even doing adaptations if she has so little respect for the source material? She should just do her own thing. The films themselves are visually stunning and well-acted. If they weren't Christie adaptations, they could stand on their own and be reasonably enjoyable. But taking such beloved source material and just assaulting it is really unforgiveable.
BrokenTune 5 months ago
It was really, really bad. I'm not sure I would have enjoyed it as non-Christie film either, but at least I would not have felt enraged while watching them destroying the story bit by stupid little bit. I feel kinda stabby just thinking about it. And the ending was utterly ridiculous, wasn't it? I mean, so was the beginning and the middle, but the ending took the proverbial biscuit.
Moonlight Snowfall 5 months ago
What she did to Poirot was just awful and demeaning. That's what infuriated me so much - she diminished him to a joke. Ugh.
I am so not going to watch this. Ever. Nor any of the other Branagh / Phelps adaptations. Life is waaayyyy too short.
Moonlight Snowfall 5 months ago
I am just wholesale rejecting it as a Poirot adaptation. It's gone. As though it never existed.
BrokenTune 5 months ago
That's the best way to deal with this abomination.
Moonlight Snowfall 5 months ago
I had to watch the Suchet adaptation of the ABC Murders as a palate cleanser. I felt so much better afterwards. The world had righted itself.
BrokenTune 5 months ago
I had to do the same. It's the only viable remedy.
That whole David Suchet Poirot series is seriously one of the best things that ever happened to TV. Particularly the first couple of seasons, of which this is one of the episodes.
Moonlight Snowfall 5 months ago
I absolutely love the byplay between Hastings and Poirot about the stuffed Caiman that Hastings brings back from The Argentine.

It's second only to the Hickory Dickory Dock adaptation, where poor Japp ends up spending the weekend with Poirot and doesn't know what a bidet is. Hahahaha.
Moonlight Snowfall 5 months ago
And, Themis, the series does take a turn after Hastings bows out of the story-line and becomes significantly darker. I love the later episodes, but there is just something about the quartet of Poirot, Hastings, Japp and Miss Lemon in the early years that is so delightful. Some of the most wonderful on-screen chemistry of all time.
Agreed. It's one of the rare instances where I don't mind the insertion of characters not actually in the original novels and short stories into the screenplay (as not all of those novels and stories actually feature Japp, Miss Lemon or, for that matter, Hastings) -- here it really just works out to perfection. And that Caiman (which is also one of the screenwriters' additions) even made it into the title of my review of that particular episode ...
Obsidian Blue 5 months ago
Do not do it Themis. I was flabbergasted by this and what the writer of this adaptation was thinking.
I'm flabbergasted just on the basis of what I'm reading. As far as I'm concerned they can't bin the whole project fast enough.
Obsidian Blue 5 months ago
Oh this was awful. I thought I tweeted at you about this when it came out. Or maybe I just seethed silently.
Moonlight Snowfall 5 months ago
It was so, so bad wasn't it?
Obsidian Blue 5 months ago
I didn't even get where the writer was going. And how did no one in this thing protest what they did to Poirot? Our Poirot being a liar? Really?
Char's Horror Corner 5 months ago
Wow. I guess this is a bad film then? ;)
Moonlight Snowfall 5 months ago
I mean, a little. ;)
Spooky's Maze of Books 5 months ago
Not going to watch it , his one of my favorite book characters .