Debbie's Spurts 5 years ago
Ooooh...I really hope they offer ePub format rather than restricting to just kobo. Kindle is still the only ereader (that I know of) not supporting ePub .
Familiar Diversions 5 years ago
I'm confused why Walmart's Kobo-powered ebook store is necessary when the Kobo site still exists. It's where I buy all my ebooks since it's easy enough to tell which ones are DRM-free and will work on my Nook Simple Touch without me having to do anything else to the files.

I'm hoping to see Kobo ereaders for sale at my local Walmart eventually. I'd love to get a Kobo, but I'd rather get one at a store rather than online, in case it's glitchy - less wasted time and hassle to go back to a store that's only a couple miles away and get it swapped out.
Debbie's Spurts 5 years ago
I have a kobo eink and like it, but I don't have the one with the non-backlit lighting like my Oasis, Paperwhite and glow ereaders which are my preferred ereaders. No issues with kobo, kindle or nook eink ereaders at all and the reading experience/quality pretty much the same. I am liking the night modes of the Glowlight 3.

The reason I got the kobo was because it supports a local bookstore (now defunct). Oh, they don't get the same profit as if I bought a physical book but if I bought at kobo store using their link, they got something. I would not go out of my way to support Walmart. (Yes, a big local employer but not exactly a good one; Barnes and Noble has a much better rep for how employees are treated.)

The kindles are easier for me for library book borrows because I'm not always near the desktop with the ADE software that let's me load via usb cable to the nook. I don't travel internationally like I used to for business, but when I did the kindle was the only dependably device to get new items.

I've been deliberately buying new books on the nook to not support amazon so much. But between library borrows, a friend's gift of a year of Kindle Unlimited, the years and years of books loaded but still not read, the hassle when traveling of finding wifi for nook rather than using the paid-extra-for-3G built into kindle, kindle connection to goodreads to share highlights for later copying to booklikes ... I really am mostly on my kindle. I actually bought more nook books when I went more with friends to physical BN stores (a lot of those friends have moved away).
Debbie's Spurts 5 years ago
You are 100% right to prefer getting in store (assuming Walmart trains employees well). There's a huge difference with nook customer service in store and amazon online service.

Never send your newer kindle back in as unrepairable for a trade in credit as suggested by amazon customer service until after you've let it sit unplugged long enough to drain the battery, recharged it and tried again. That can take days (quicker if wifi/3g was on when busted). On older kindles there's a pinpoint hole at bottom you can poke with a needle or inkpen tip to do a hard reset; they quickly got rid of that feature where you now have to drain battery then recharge.
Michelle's corner 5 years ago
I have a Kobo waterproof and an early Kindle. I don't use either of them these days. Completely support getting something at the local store, in case of failure. Much easier to go back somewhere. There was news of an open source e-reader some years ago, but it seems to have died a death.
I'm heading into London for a few days training, and I'm actually taking physical books with me. My publisher made the decision some time ago, to offer multiple formats, DRM free, which I fully support. The customer can just download the book in whatever format they want. But for Indies to publish physical book is getting harder. There was a point where smaller runs were getting cheaper, but storage of small numbers, of a large amount of titles, eats cash.
5 years ago