Have you looked att Playster. It is a subscription service kinda like Kindle unlimited or scribd. Their audiobook selection is amazing. The best I have seen with a subscription service.
Person Of Interest 7 months ago
I'll give them a look. My library's digital selection isn't all that great and only allows 3 holds at a time and 5 check-outs; wait times can be pretty long. I've acquired about 250 titles through Audible over the last three years very reasonably, but it never hurts to check out the competition. At this point a subscription service might work better for me.
Peregrinations 7 months ago
So is there another library you can join? For instance, the Boston Public Library is open to everyone in the entire state and then there is my local library. I've joined both.
Person Of Interest 7 months ago
Possibly. I'd need to check into it. They did add the Hoopla system last year, but when I tried to borrow through it, my library had already exceeded their limit of loans for that month, so I didn't find it convenient.
Peregrinations 7 months ago
Well that's just ridiculous. A service that doesn't serve. Maybe with enough complaints the library will ditch Hoopla and find another service that better serves the needs of the community.

BTW, thanks for the tip about Playster. I may give it a try once i have drained my library dry.
Chris Blocker 7 months ago
The library doesn't need to ditch Hoopla, they just need to up their limits. Libraries choose the monthly limits. That said, I'm not a big fan of Hoopla's interface and style, but limits can certainly be increased (and should be if users are using the service).
Person Of Interest 7 months ago
Funding limitations, I suspect. We just passed a local measure to increase library funds this past November.

I didn't end up checking anything out through Hoopla, but I agree it doesn't look as easy to use as OverDrive. Our library offers both.

Person Of Interest 7 months ago
Whispersync prices are often lower than using credits too. That's the case for several of my favorite series.
Peregrinations 7 months ago
But don't you already have to have bought the Kindle title to purchase the Whispersync?
Person Of Interest 7 months ago
Yes. But the combined price (ebook + audio) can be less expensive than the credit.
BrokenTune 7 months ago
re: "About buying more credits. I know I can do it but I don't know how it works and I don't know if there is a limit to the number of credits you can purchase in a year or if just anyone can buy more credits."

When I run out of credits a link shows up that allows to buy three more. It doesn't require to change your subscription.

Is this what you meant?
Peregrinations 7 months ago
Yes, but I wasn't sure it was universal or just certain subscription plans. And I'm not sure if there is an annual limit of how many you can buy.
BrokenTune 7 months ago
Ah, I see. I can't see that there would be an annual limit on how many you can buy as they are still sales to Audible/Amazon.

Peregrinations 7 months ago