Kaethe 2 years ago
Catherine Bailey's works are great nonfiction, as she uncovers Edwardian secrets. Val McDermid's A Place of Execution should fit the bill, as will any of Sarah Rayne's standalones. Maureen Johnson's Shades of London series might suit, unless you don't want real ghosts. The Ghosts of Ashbury High is devoted to the gothic in literature. Picture the Dead is a grim civil war era American gothic. Whereas Shirley Jackson's We Have Always lived int he Castle is a pure return to the form, Franny Billisngsley's Chime is another fantastical one.

Good luck. I hope at least one of these hits the sweet spot.
Rosie's Books 2 years ago
Thank you for the wonderful recommendations! As soon as I read "Catherine Bailey" in your comment it rang a bell, I had read The Secret Rooms about a year ago and found it extremely interesting. I had completely forgotten about her books I will be reading her book Black Diamonds first and following that up with your other recommendations. Thanks again!
Char's Horror Corner 2 years ago
Sweetheart, Sweetheart by Bernard Taylor, not exactly gothic but it hits on every other note you mentioned.
Rosie's Books 2 years ago
Thank you Char! I read the synopsis of Sweetheart Sweetheart and it's exactly what I was looking for, I have already requested this book as well as Black Diamonds by Catherine Bailey. I will be reading both simultaneously.
Char's Horror Corner 2 years ago
Can't wait to hear what you think of it. :)
Rosie's Books 2 years ago
Thank you Char, I will definitely post up my thoughts on it and keep you posted ;-)
Kaethe 2 years ago
I'll give Taylor's book a go; I love Gothic.
Rosie's Books 2 years ago
Seems like great book, I'm always excited to hear of new books or authors I have never heard of and then say wow I can't believe I almost missed that. Let us know what you think of it Kaethe.
Char's Horror Corner 2 years ago
If you get the version with the intro by Michael Rowe, you can read it first because it's not spoilery. It made me very excited to get to the story. (And Michael Rowe's books are good too.)
Edited to add that it's not a gothic story, but it's very atmospheric, haunting and beautiful, while also being well written.
Kaethe 2 years ago
I'll call it gothic if it has some of the characteristics, and " very atmospheric, haunting and beautiful, " certainly quaifies.
Char's Horror Corner 2 years ago
Oh, ok. I just didn't want you to think it was some 800 page novel with lengthy descriptions of scenery and whatnot. (Which is what the last gothic novel I read was like: The Mysteries of Udolpho.)
Rosie's Books 2 years ago
I agree with Kaethe, it certainly does qualify as a Gothic Novel. :-)
Char's Horror Corner 2 years ago
Then, gothic it is! I sure hope you both enjoy it. :)