The only one of those I've read is On Basilisk Station, and it was OK. The Guy Gavriel Kay looks intriguing.
Tannat 2 years ago
It's hard to go wrong with Guy Gavriel Kay, but his books are always so long! (635 pages doesn't seem that long, but Kobo pegs it at 180k words)
Debbie's Spurts 2 years ago
I've also only read "On Basilisk Station.". Think British Empire naval warfare in space, lots of military details and engagements -- which will either be your cup of tea or it won't. The tree cat aliens (what's on the over on the shoulder of intrepid heroine Honor Harrington) are fascinating particularly in some of the short stories in the series and Honor is someone to root for.
Tannat 2 years ago
I do want to read it because it sounds like it might be my cup of tea...the treecat as an exotic animal might be a bit of a stretch though. Of course, I am considering a slightly fantastic alternate history version of the Tang Dynasty as Asian...
It's Horatio Hornblower in space. On the whole, I prefer Mr. Hornblower. The treecat didn't do much in the first one, if I recall correctly.
Tannat 2 years ago
I don't think I've read Hornblower, actually, although I'm pretty sure I like the concept.
I like Horatio Hornblower; I'd like to read more, actually.
Tannat 2 years ago
It's sort of on my list of things to seek out eventually but I can only read so many books!
Moonlight Snow 2 years ago
I think they all look pretty good, but I'd probably go for the Guy Gavriel Kay as well!
Tannat 2 years ago
Now I'm leaning towards to Kay....
Familiar Diversions 2 years ago
The only one I even vaguely know anything about is the David Weber one. Lots of people love the series. I read one of the spin-off books. Weber is overly fond of infodumps, but I remember liking the treecats (your "exotic animal").
Tannat 2 years ago
Yeah I've been meaning to start the series but haven't gotten around to it. The first book was free so I downloaded it with that intention...

I haven't read the book yet so I couldn't remember what they were called. Thanks!
Obsidian Blue 2 years ago
Under Heaven sounds interesting!
Tannat 2 years ago
Well that's 3 for Under Heaven...
YouKneeK 2 years ago
I'm glad you seem to have decided on Under Heaven. :) I’ve only read one Guy Gavriel Kay book (Tigana), but I really liked it, and I hope to read this one eventually. I look forwarding to reading what you think about it.
Tannat 2 years ago
I've read several of Kay's books (Tigana is awesome in my opinion) and I keep meaning to read the rest but it always feels like I need to prepare myself for his books because although they're fascinating and lyrical he really likes to tug on your heart strings... And I like how Kay does endings.

You might like The Lions of Al-Rassan, actually.
YouKneeK 2 years ago
The Lions of Al-Rassan is actually another one on my list (along with The Summer Tree and Under Heaven). I’d like to fit him in again sometime this year, so maybe I’ll make Lions the next book I read by him.
Tannat 2 years ago
I haven't read Summer Tree yet...