Abandoned by user 5 years ago
It totally counts. I actually remember finding this book mildly hilarious.
Tannat 5 years ago
Excellent! Yes, like when Atticus didn't bring his ipod and he has to run for hours so he entertains himself by imagining Kirk and Spock as "angels" giving him advice...
Abandoned by user 5 years ago
This is the one where Hearne gives the shout-out to Neil Gaiman, right?
Tannat 5 years ago
Oh yeah, that too. He actually has Atticus admit to having squeed.
Murder by Death 5 years ago
This was my lease favourite of the books I've read so far too - and I had been looking forward to it, because... Thor. :)
Tannat 5 years ago
It still had some good points.
Mike Finn 5 years ago
I was so disappointws in this book that I abandoned the series here. I hated THor. I thought Atticus had gone from cool to idiotic and unpleasant. There wasn0t enough of his dog and the story-telling groaned under the wieight of an over-wrought structure

Did the rest of the series return the the promise of the earlier books?
Elentarri's Book Blog 5 years ago
Not really. The series goes downhill from here. There are the odd interesting concepts but lots of killings sprees. It stretches believably rather a lot - even for an urban fantasy novel. There are also less dog parts..
Mike Finn 5 years ago
Thanks for that. With so many books and so little time it's good to be navigate around the ones that won't satisfy.
Tannat 5 years ago
Darn.
Elentarri's Book Blog 5 years ago
That is just my opinion. A lot of other people love the rest of the series, but I expect more than what he has produced so far. I still read the books in hopes that they will improve (and because it has a telepathic dog), I just don't think they are that great. The Dresden Files, Mercedes Thompson Series and the October Daye series are sooooo much better.
Tannat 5 years ago
I suspect I'll be disappointed as well. Although I'll have to disagree with you on the rest. I gave up on Dresden Files and October Daye early on (and believe me, with Dresden Files, I *tried*). I haven't tried Mercedes Thompson. Part of the reason I liked this series up to now was because it was so much more fun than the Dresden Files. Sorry, I just have so many friends who love the Dresden Files and I guess I'm a little bitter that I can't join in.

Oh well, perhaps I should just give up on typical urban fantasy.
Elentarri's Book Blog 5 years ago
If you want a fun urban fantasy then try the Mercedes Thompson series.
Tannat 5 years ago
I may eventually. My type of fun urban fantasy is Peter Grant. Or Split Worlds.
Elentarri's Book Blog 5 years ago
What passes for urban fantasy these days isn't the old-fashioned, original urban fantasy. Maybe try some older books in the category?

You can also try the Monster Haven series by R.L. Naquin; Bryony and Roses by T. Kingfisher (standalone novella); Giants of the Frost by Kim Wilkins (standalone); maybe some of Tanya Huff's work?; A Key, an Egg, an Unfortunate Remark by Harry Connolly (standalone, different); Bobby Dollar trilogy by Tad Williams; The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly, The Grimm Legacy by Polly Shulman, books by Charles de Lint; some books by Diane Duanne.
Elentarri's Book Blog 5 years ago
I didn't get past the half-way mark with the first Peter Grant novel. Never heard of Split Worlds. I will have to look it up. Try Monster Haven series as well - its funny and rather original.
Tannat 5 years ago
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to look them up later. Sounds like we have different tastes though. Split worlds is by Emma Newman.
Elentarri's Book Blog 5 years ago
The books I suggested are all different, but they are the more light-hearted or amusing stuff as opposed to the depressing urban fantasy. Most are stand-alone novels so you don't have to commit to de-evolving series. None of these revolve around soppy vampires or silly girls or full out romance. Split worlds looks interesting. Thanks for the suggestion.