Elentarri's Book Blog 4 years ago
YMMV??
"Your mileage may vary." Originally, North American car sales / gasoline mileage lingo.
Elentarri's Book Blog 4 years ago
Thanks.
Tannat 4 years ago
Sorry, I thought it was an abbreviation that was widespread. I admit that when I first noticed a (British) friend of mine use it, I had to look it up myself.
Well, "your kilometre count may vary" doesn't have those sexy double "M"s in the middle ... "K"-sounds are so harsh! :D
Elentarri's Book Blog 4 years ago
That doesn't sound quite right... ;) Isn't mileage an actual term regardless of whether you are using miles or kilometers?
In Europe, that depends on what country you're talking about. "Mileage" is a given for Britain, obviously, but talking about Continental Europe, to most residents I suspect it would sound decidedly off, even if used in a casual English language conversation relating to cars and not, say, when referring to the actual technical details, e.g. in used cars advertising or when referring to rental cars.

"Mileage" as used metaphorically -- as a stand-in for "age", "experience", "preference", etc. -- is a different matter, obviously, but that's exactly what I mean ... you'd never even think of using the technically correct Continental European "car" term as a metaphor, whereas the English term basically just seems to suggest itself!
Mike Finn 4 years ago
Alastair Reyolds novels remind me of the Marvel movies: fascinating bits of personal history that lure you in, complex and confident world-building but long periods of the literary equivalent of CGI-for-The-Sake-Of-It.

Yet I keep going back, just like the Marvel movies, because the bits that are good are REALLY good.
Tannat 4 years ago
Oh I'll keep going back too. :)

Good analogy though.