Elentarri's Book Blog 1 month ago
Portable Mistletoe 1 month ago
I feel a little sorry for whoever has to carry those boxes of books.
Char's Horror Corner 1 month ago
I was just thinking that!
Tannat 1 month ago
The movers will put them on a trolley. If they're sensible.
I love that your office also goes by the name "book room" -- and that it houses a bike.

So how's Cornwell's "Azincourt" ... and what are all those Livre de Poche / Gallimard editions? (Yes, of course I snooped.)
Tannat 1 month ago
Eh, there aren't quite enough books to make it a library. It's also the cat's room because his litter box is there. And in my new place, I can put my bike in the garage!

Cornwell's Azincourt is only so-so. The battles are interesting but I wasn't pulled in by his characters. I think I have a review somewhere...

The French books have been packed so it's kind of hard to answer your question. There's The Count of Monte Cristo, La reine Margot, and some YA books. I'll try to remember to take a close up just for you when I put them back on a shelf. The Gallimard is probably Par une nuit où la lune ne s'est pas levée.
"Par une nuit ..." sounds interesting -- is it? I really should finally read *something' by Dai Sijie.

Pity about "Azincourt". It's what I came away with from his Arthur trilogy as well, though ("The Winter King" et al.). He's great at describing battles (leaving no doubt whatsoever about the gruesome bloody business that a battle invariably constitutes), but few of his characters are likeable, let alone memorable ... especially if they are military leaders.

How is Balou taking to his home gradually being packed up?
Tannat 1 month ago
Par une nuit started off interesting but it took me FOREVER to get through so I wasn't too keen on it by the end. I should maybe try something else by him but there are so many other shinies to get through first.

For the books that are mostly about the battles, that can work.

Balou spent some time staring at me when I started putting things in boxes but I've now brought him to my parents' place where he will stay until I unpack enough to introduce him to his new home. I've also stocked up on Feliway.
Has Balou experienced many moves with you? Either way, the Feliway and temporary move to your parents are probably going to help a lot (or so I hope).

I knew going in that Cornwell had portrayed Arthur chiefly as a warlord; still, I'd been hoping for more character development and just generally a more character-driven story instead of the relentless bang-bang-bang of battle and not much else. (Interesting role reversal of Lancelot, though, I'll give him that.)

Too bad about "Pour une nuit ..." Oh well. Maybe I'll end up picking something else then after all. Eventually.
Tannat 1 month ago
This will be Balou's fourth move with me. I usually park him at my parents place for a bit.

I haven't read Cornwell's Arthur yet. I guess I'll see.
Well, Balou should know what's what then ... sounds like he's a veritable old hand (paw) at moving at this point!
Tannat 1 month ago
lol hopefully he gets used to the new place pretty quickly. It helps that he's a laid back cat, for the most part.
Elentarri's Book Blog 1 month ago
Will you get more book shelves at your new place?
Tannat 1 month ago
I'll have to see what I can fit, but I'm hoping for at least one more book case...
Looks like you could use (at least) one ...
Tannat 1 month ago
Yep. A friend who just moved offered me some of his old book cases, so I'm planning on going with that and then seeing. I'd like to make room for a daybed in the office/book room too.

Basically the office is going to turn into more of a study since I won't have Balou's litter box in there.
That sounds great! The room I'm now using as my office used to be my guest bedroom (with the guest bed transformed into day bed and general junk holder when not in use), but the room is to small to fit both functions simultaneously, so I had to make a choice ... and I needed an office. So my guest bed is now down in the garage -- properly wrapped and protected, but it'll still need a thorough airing if I ever want to use it again.
Tannat 1 month ago
Ah, see I don't exactly "need" an office since I can't really work from home; it's just a convenient place to put my filing cabinet and desk. My mom keeps bugging me to get a smaller desk too.
Speaking from personal experience -- don't. I only have a small desk, and it's definitely too small for everything it would actually need to hold. Unfortunately, I don't have room for a larger one.
Elentarri's Book Blog 1 month ago
I agree. Don't get a smaller desk. I wanted to put a fold-up couch in my office/library but ended up with my old desk that the folks threw out. I still want the couch, but the extra desk is just sooooo useful!
Portable Mistletoe 1 month ago
I have a giant desk in my office with a futon crammed in the corner that I use whenever my guest room is occupied. That seems to work fine for me. Plus, the air mattress technology has advanced to the point that a good quality blow up (with air compressor) mattress on the floor is far more comfortable to sleep on than any fold-out couch.
Tannat 1 month ago
But the couch can double as a reading spot....
Portable Mistletoe 1 month ago
It could. But I pay my bills and stuff in my office and it would stress me out to read in there.
Tannat 1 month ago
The laptop generally sits in the living room, so I don't have that problem. :)
That's a very substantial-looking new bookcase!
I bought two :)
Even better -- woohoo!
Tannat 2 weeks ago
I've posted a picture of the second one. The plan is to install them side-by-side and fasten them together (there is a provision for this in the package, but I have to drill a couple holes).
Murder by Death 2 weeks ago
Good looking bookcase - and it looks tall?

Thanks for taking the time out of moving/unpacking/assembling to share with us :)
Tannat 2 weeks ago
It's very tall. And wider than my old ones. I think it's a good 2.1 m with the trim on top. I'm hoping perhaps this will alleviate some of the strain for a fourth bookcase, but we'll see. There are four more shelves to install on each.

I've been very sluggish with the unpacking/assembling. Which is unfortunate, because I won't bring Balou back from my parents' until I have everything settled for him.
Tannat 2 weeks ago
In case you're curious (and I'm slow at assembly), it's supposed to look like this when I'm done:

:D
Murder by Death 2 weeks ago
Way more style than the Billy bookcases. :)
Tannat 2 weeks ago
Plus more sturdy, I think.
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
Yay! Thanks for sharing the pictures of the new shelves. :)
You're welcome. :)
Elentarri's Book Blog 2 weeks ago
:) Very pretty new book cases! :)
Thank you!
Elentarri's Book Blog 2 weeks ago
Any chance of replacing the little bookshelf and getting another big one in its place? You can have that whole corner with 3 large matching book cases?
Booklikes -- the place to go to for book talk and to swap book-related interior decoration ideas! :)
Tannat 2 weeks ago
I suppose I could, but I don't really want to block the outlet and there is one on that wall. Actually the pair of bookcases will block an outlet as well. Due to their width, I'd only be able to fit one in that corner. If I got a second of the black little one though I could fit two... Of course, I have lots of room in my bedroom, so I could maybe move the little bookcase there...I was trying to keep all the books in one room for a change, though, and I still wanted room for office stuff and possibly a futon.

That is an idea though. I will consider it depending on how well I like the ones I bought (although I'm quite sure I'll like them, with all those shelves!) when I consider adding furniture...spending $600 plus delivery is enough for now :)
Elentarri's Book Blog 2 weeks ago
Too bad about the outlets- they are always in the wrong place! Mine are also against the wall I wanted to put more shelves against, but I had to put the desk there instead and leave a space on the adjacent wall aswell because of the outlet. :/
I've stopped being bothered by that -- I just use multiple-socket extension cords (draped around the side of whatever shelf or cupboard is going wherever the outlet happens to be).
Murder by Death 2 weeks ago
What TA said - I've lost a few outlets in my house to bookcases, but I do what she does: power strips run underneath the bookcases. It's clumsier than I'd like, but until I get 'custom' built-ins, it works just fine.
Tannat 2 weeks ago
I can work around the outlets to a certain extent, it's just that I don't want to block all of them from that corner of the room...I actually have a power bar under the couch in the living room because of the outlet location...
Elentarri's Book Blog 2 weeks ago
I've also got extensions, but I didn't want to shove them behind a permanent/fixed-to-the-wall book case stuffed with too many books incase the whole thing goes up in flames. So I had to make "adjustments" to my shelving plans.
Fair. Very fair.
Char's Horror Corner 2 weeks ago
LOVE the new shelves!
Thanks!
Elentarri's Book Blog 2 weeks ago
BEAUTIFUL!! :)
Thanks!
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
Gorgeous!
Thanks!
This looks great -- and congrats on the extra shelf space! I'd say "long may it last", but then again ... :D Either way, I hope it will come to host some fabulous new books!

P.S. A point has duly been recorded for this one. If this wasn't shelf organization then I don't know what is.
Tannat 2 weeks ago
lol ok. It should last a little while anyway.

P.S. I wasn't quite re-shelving completely at random, but I was definitely paying more attention to what books would fit on the shelf rather than actually grouping authors' books.
Char's Horror Corner 2 weeks ago
Whoohoo! They look so pretty!

Anyone taking bets as to how long it is before they're all full? ;)
Thanks!

You may need to adjust your bets if I find books in another one of the boxes...
Murder by Death 1 week ago
It looks fantastic - and those empty shelves look like a challenge. ;-)
Tannat 1 week ago
Haha. I do have a few old school photo albums that I might want to put on the shelves if I do some re-arranging. And I will have to go through everything and impose some kind of order at some point, so things may get shifted around.

Today's task was to go through my storage closet and I'm surprised that I actually managed to do it. I thought I'd be lazy after dinner but I somehow got myself to go down and do a few things...which turned into going through all the boxes in there and setting up Balou's litter box, so I could potentially go and bring him over this weekend. I still have my desk to put together and some cleaning to do, but that might be doable with a cat around, right?