Degrees of Affection 3 years ago
Looks like you had quite a good book haul! And those shelves are all amazing! I love used bookstores and other second-hand stores.

...Jonathan Stroud, that name is familar...
Unimportant Musings 3 years ago
Still not convinced I didn't dream up the whole thing, especially since that book room no longer exists. It's not every day you stumble upon somewhere where books, even pre-loved ones, are priced so agreeably low.

You've probably heard of Stroud because of the Bartimaeus Sequence. Ever since Harry Potter, His Dark Materials, and the Ender's Game series, I've been on the prowl for another similar series to lose myself in. The Abhorsen trilogy is another one on my list.
Degrees of Affection 3 years ago
Now I LOVED Garth Nix's Abhorsen trilogy. I know there's been a couple new books printed in the series but I've not read them yet. Bartimaeus, yes I have heard of the series. I don't know anything about it, though it is on my eventual read list.
Unimportant Musings 3 years ago
Your hearty endorsement for the Abhorsen trilogy only exacerbates my guilty conscience. About a month ago, Nix came to the Kinokuniya branch near my place, and I happened to be around when he was giving a talk there. Unfortunately, I couldn't be bothered.

My surprise will be zero when my future self, who has at last read his books, time-travels here and punches me silly for not sticking around then like the others in the audience to soak in his writerly wisdom, but continuing on browsing like an ignorant pleb.
Degrees of Affection 3 years ago
I can understand. I'd never heard of him before reading the books and even then I've never tracked down anything else he's done. But yes, there have been times I've had the chance to hear an author or pick up a book I later deeply regretted but at the time I had no idea I'd ever care.
Unimportant Musings 3 years ago
It's missed opportunities like those that make me think hindsight is Nelson Muntz in disguise and laughing at us.
Unimportant Musings 3 years ago
I probably broke the global positive experience index that day.
Murder by Death 3 years ago
These finds are the best! Although it's sort of sad the room disappeared. Still, great haul!
Unimportant Musings 3 years ago
Much obliged! It's going to be hard to top this haul, but with my attitude, that's a given. My calendar will soon have dates penciled in for book fairs and garage sales in my area. Then there are tons more of those thrift stores (called Vinnie's here) that I've yet to raid. But I'm still not over the fact they got rid of that room in the first place. On what earth are mannequins more in demand than books?
Murder by Death 3 years ago
We have Vinnie's here too (I'm in Melbourne) but I haven't searched them out for books - was this ephemeral book room in a Vinnie's? If so, I'm going to have to stalk our locals...

The Brotherhood of St. Lawrence is supposed to do a lot with used books, but the prices I've seen haven't been...inspiring.
Unimportant Musings 3 years ago
Hey, small world! The books in the last photo were from a Vinnie's, but that then-book-now-mannequin room is based in this hole-in-the-wall garbage sale called Reverse Garbage. They have their own website, so you could check it and see if they've got other branches in the country. Doubt it, though.

I know that feel about used bookstores selling even books with yellow, moldy pages at the same price as that for brand-new books at Kinokuniya and Dymocks. My happiness couldn't have been snuffed out any faster when I discovered this secondhand bookstore called Gould's Book Arcade, only to find out shortly afterwards about their exorbitant costs. What the hell gives?

For now, I'm keeping my ear close to the ground for any rumbling about book fairs. This godsent website's been a big help: http://www.collectingbooksandmagazines.com/fairs.html
Murder by Death 3 years ago
Oh, thanks HEAPS!!! for this link! This is exactly the thing I've been looking for for ages. I never thought to use the search term "fair"... duh. Off to explore more....
Char's Horror Corner 3 years ago
That's amazing! Thanks for sharing. :)