Moonlight Snowfall 3 years ago
This was one of Agatha's favorites of her own books. I quite liked it as well.
It's got the classic Christie country manor setting, but yes, I liked the strong women in the story, too ... and the solution is -- um, unusual, especially if you look at the mystery tradition of the time, even if it doesn't seem quite as unheard-of anymore today, alas.

Setting and all, it reminded me a LOT of Ngaio Marsh's "Final Curtain;" except that there, the victim is a famous actor and not a businessman, and the identity of the murderer is different -- but that aside, both the setting and the composition of the family is almost exactly the same. In fact, "Final Curtain" is much more similar to "Crooked House" than any of Christie's own novels IMHO. ("Final Curtain" was published in 1947; "Crooked House" in 1949.)
Wanda's Book Reviews 3 years ago
I am betting is was an unusual solution for the times! I can see why Christie liked it, its a well structured little story.
Moonlight Snowfall 3 years ago
Are you a Deanna Raybourn fan? One of her Lady Julia mysteries pretty obviously cribbed from this book (not in a bad way, though, more like an homage).
Wanda's Book Reviews 3 years ago
I haven't read anything by Raybourn. But I will keep her in mind. :)
Raybourn is on my TBR -- haven't read anything by her yet, though. Hmmm ... is this one of the Lady Julia books you're referring to?
I've not read any of the Lady Julia novels, but her A Curious Beginning was a nice read.
Moonlight Snowfall 3 years ago
Themis - I'm not sure if I should say more...spoilers, etc.
Ah, OK. I'm going to have to take a look at them then! :)
Person Of Interest 3 years ago
I've read the first Lady Julia - enjoyed it with some niggles - so I'm guessing the Christie plot turns up later in the series.

For over-the-top escapist fun I thought A Curious Beginning/Veronica Speedwell was pretty entertaining. Raybourn writes well and does a decent enough job with historical accuracy to satisfy me. I'd appreciate more mystery and less romance, though, but I'm sure I'm in the minority.
Well, we're both in the minority then ... the emphasis on the romance element has so far kept me away, too. Good to hear about the historical accuracy, though; that was another aspect I've had doubts about.
Person Of Interest 3 years ago
I don't have a history background, so I'm sure I don't catch a lot of mistakes more knowledgeable folks do. What tends to bother me is when the characters attitudes and behaviors don't feel consistent with the historical setting or the language is glaringly modern.

In the Lady Julia series Raybourn gets around that somewhat by making Julia's family eccentric and less concerned with social norms. Veronica Speedwell's upbringing also helps her circumvent some of the societal baggage of the era. But she and her romantic interest, Stoker, are such larger than life characters that I was able to suspend my disbelief and just enjoy the fun. :)