Comments: 9
Ceridwen 4 years ago
Nice! I kinda love this series, but especially this book. (I'm not as enamored of the next lead so much, but I do like Nix in general.) I totally get the high fantasy quota thing; it's easy to burn out.
1st Avenue 4 years ago
It certainly is. I can only take a few high fantasies back to back before I'm sick of 'em, same goes for sci-fi I suppose.

When I realized I liked this book a lot, I was disappointed to find that Lireal and Abhorsen aren't about Sabriel but the next generation.
Ceridwen 4 years ago
On some level I can dig it - he told all the story he thought he had with these characters - but I'm with you. More Mogget too!
1st Avenue 4 years ago
More Mogget? I'm sold. And there's a dog too right? Btw Tim Curry does a great impression of Mogget, full of disgust and disdain and phlegm (caused by hairballs, no doubt).
Ceridwen 4 years ago
God, I can imagine Curry just nailing that. Yeah, there's the Disreputable Dog. The thing so surprising about Mogget is that I usually hate fictional cats. Too twee and precious. But Mogget is the right kind of self superior jerk to be a magical cat thing.
1st Avenue 4 years ago
True. Fictional cats tend to be too cutesy, and that's not how I imagine cats either. If they could talk, they'd be scathing, judgmental, lazy little balls of fur and fury. Nix must be a secret cat whisperer.
Excellent review of a wonderful book.
1st Avenue 4 years ago
Thank you. It's really too bad not many people know have read of this trilogy or Garth Nix. I think they'd reevaluate how they see YA fantasy if they just give it a try, just like I did.
It's fantastic that you gave it a second chance. I don't give many books seconds chances!