Debbie's Spurts 6 years ago
or get a "bookclub" of friends together to split a cabin or hotel room locally, preferably walking distance of a bookstore to visit pre-marathon after visiting a liquor store for supplies ...

I did a charity Readathon once for just two hours and was ready to strangle my husband (who any other time would happily have been ignoring me). After three false starts, I made him sign a check from his personal account and told him every time he interrupted when no one needed to go to the emergency room he was donating $100 plus another $10 per minute of the interruption.
Bark at the Ghouls 6 years ago
Now that's a great idea :)
Debbie's Spurts 6 years ago
You can test it by trying an hour or so of this weekend's worldwide Dewey's 24-Hour Readathon at http://www.24hourreadathon.com
Bark at the Ghouls 6 years ago
You don't have to do the full 24hours?
Chris' Fish Place 6 years ago
Does grading papers count?
Bark at the Ghouls 6 years ago
That doesn't sound like much fun at all.
A Voracious Reader 6 years ago
Once, I went to the Bahamas by myself and I took a beach bag full of books. This was back in my Harlequin phase, so I had about 40 books. I read the entire week I was there. Between the reading, the beach and room service, it was heaven.
Bark at the Ghouls 6 years ago
That is heaven.
Mammarella 6 years ago
Like I told Bookfanatic earlier, I have a spare bedroom for people to hide, a brand new hot-tub and a daily made pitcher of Margarita :D
Kids are out of the house from 8am to 3pm. Blessed hours! ♥
Yes! Those are blessed hours. I love those hours and refuse to give them up. That is why I work night shift. And only 3 nights a week (weekends)
Bark at the Ghouls 6 years ago
I should've found a night shift job years ago :(. I love my family but they do not let me read. I sneak in a few pages late at night or in the brief moments I can steal away during daylight.
Bark at the Ghouls 6 years ago
I may have to crash your party one of these days. I keep harping about building another room in my house so I'll have somewhere to hide. They think I'm kidding. I'm not.
I have just the place to hide and do this, but I have no time.
Mammarella 6 years ago
I always say that you need to take care of yourself before you can take care of everyone else. Having a quiet, enjoyable time for yourself is taking care of yourself. It leaves you relaxed and better prepared for every day craziness. Call me lazy, but if I don't do it, I will bite heads off and break the house. So it's either lazy or crazy :p
Bark at the Ghouls 6 years ago
You're right. My only me time is early in the morning when I practice yoga and it's not enough. I feel crazy by Thursday.
I wish I did swing it but I'm still looking for the magical fairies to sprinkle they dust around and make it so
Bark at the Ghouls 6 years ago
I hope it happens for you soon :)
I wish I could do this, but when I am at home the cats don't leave me. I have too many cats, and too many cat related problems.
Debbie's Spurts 6 years ago
I read better with cats ... but I have a snuggle alpha that handles any interruptions for me from any cat wanting to do anything other than join the snuggling while I'm reading.
Bark at the Ghouls 6 years ago
My pets are all over me as soon as I sit down, demanding attention. Such selfish creatures. They don't get the concept of alone time and will nudge my iPad right out of my hands.
I wish I could do this...I think one of these years, I'm just going to HAVE to plan to do this :)
Bark at the Ghouls 6 years ago
You and me both.
OpenBooks.com 6 years ago
My kid is 7 and I'm alone with him. The school doesn't even cover hours of my working. He sleeps 7 hours like me. To get peace I must hand son to grandma, go to friend to another city and turn off the mobile. So I join you in the pain and helplessness.
Bark at the Ghouls 6 years ago
I'm so glad I'm not alone in never being alone :)
OpenBooks.com 6 years ago