BrokenTune 3 years ago
Oh, well,...it was only a matter of time.
3 years ago
Wow...
Escape from the ER 3 years ago
Not sure I understand the point....more control? less member input?
3 years ago
It's so sad that they are so fixated on selling books and so uncaring about their actual users. They're still not solving our problems, just what they perceive to be issues.
Why am I not surprised? (Reason #34754309895374375321 never to return to that place -- if I'd actually needed yet another one in the first place ...)
Darth Pedant 3 years ago
Disappointed but not surprised. -_-
3 years ago
Do I detect a touch of scepticism in the comments?
Bark at the Ghouls 3 years ago
And today I see a comment that founders Otis & Elizabeth are "retiring". I thought they were already gone after the big payday but whatever. The timing doesn't bode well.I'm a little wary of what might happen now.
Murder by Death 3 years ago
This doesn't surprise me in the least. Corporate giants do not like mixing directly with the hoi polloi they depend upon for survival, but even more, they don't like the hoi polloi mixing with each other, because then everyone will know it isn't just them having problems. Honestly, I can't believe it took them as long as it did to add this layer of remove/opacity between themselves and their customer base.
Darth Pedant 3 years ago
Agreed 1000%. I've been kind of expecting this since the Amazon buyout, even more so after Amazon started closing down its own customer forums. So yeah, it feels like it's been a looooong time coming.
Debbie's Spurts 2 years ago
I agree, too.

While not unexpected, I am sad to see so much history destroyed. And just like with earlier amazon forums so many helpful hints, tips, and how-to's are being destroyed in amazon's efforts to erase what goodreads was in its heydey of being a community for book lovers.

What use is it that I can export my group comments if I cannot see what I am responding to or the responses to my questions?

I loathe censorship, but I'd almost rather amazon wade through picking and choosing what to "archive" away from public view to avoid what they consider negative or bad publicity than destroy everything.

To be honest, I'm only surprised it took them this long to figure a way to destroy threads like the 2013 one about amazon's censorship that contributed to many of us coming to booklikes.

Oh boy do I hope booklikes stays viable.