Familiar Diversions 8 years ago
I've had this whole series for years, but have yet to read and review it. I got it after reading (but not reviewing, so I need to go back to that one too ::sigh::) Abraham's Winter Demon, which was more enjoyable than I expected considering it began with rape.
Bark at the Ghouls 8 years ago
If you liked Winter Demon it's a good bet you might be unable to turn your eyes away from this one too. You should pick it up between books. I find they snap me out of the "blahs" with their crazy.
Familiar Diversions 8 years ago
I do like that, unlike Winter Demon, this series is illustrated by only one artist - no disappointment if an artist I prefer gives way to one I don't. I think the primary reason I never got around to reading it was because it looked like it might be a good bit darker than Winter Demon, although maybe the great gobs of crazy makes up for that.
Mammarella 8 years ago
I don't mind rape and torture and other depraved things and actions, but I am holding off, afraid to start other books by Yamila.

I gave Incubus Master Part 1 one star for reasons other than violence and perversion. It claims to be book 1 in a certain series, but it was anything but, constantly referring to previous places, events and characters. It dumped me right in the middle of a universe I had known nothing about. Like watching "Avengers" starting 40 minutes in. Who ARE these people and what the hell is it with the HAMMER?

Another problem I had was the writing itself. I graduated from yaoi novels/manga so long ago, that I can't appreciate this style any longer.

However, I am giving her one more chance - Maelstrom 1 - and I pray that it is, indeed, book ONE, not a spin off or anything close to such. Did you by any chance happen to read it?
Bark at the Ghouls 8 years ago
Yeah the writing is not so great and often makes no sense at all. I haven't read Maelstrom. I am forever behind. But I do think I have Incubus somewhere. Guess I won't be digging that one out anytime soon.
Familiar Diversions 8 years ago
I haven't read any of her novels and am kind of afraid to, because, quite frankly, craziness and not-so-great writing work better for me in manga form, where I have artwork to distract me, than in novels. Plus, the price for her works is higher than I normally pay for those kinds of word counts.
Mammarella 8 years ago
I got "Master" for free and "Maelstrom" at Kobo for 50 cents with a discount, which I only bought because of the price and a short page count in case of extreme pains inflicted on me by this author again. We'll see what happens.
Ultramarine 8 years ago
Actually for me it sounds terrible! and with the remarks here bellow i say - NO WAY! :D
I've never read manga before, not in a whole book (like this one I guess) or a comics, just wasn't into it I guess. so maybe if I was it would have worked for me? donno..
Mammarella 8 years ago
Depends on a manga :)
Bark at the Ghouls 8 years ago
Definitely depends on the manga and I would definitely NOT start with this one :)