Comments: 4
We were in NYC when it was at the Met, but we didn't see it (so I still haven't seen Tut), as my mother had seen him in London, and the line stretched around the building and down the block. (We went to their regular Egyptian collection, which was deserted except for an Egyptologist, who was happy to explain what we were looking at to a 12-year-old. Really cool trip to a museum.)

I read Motel of the Mysteries about that time, and just cracked up. Yeah, a strong strain of "In Search of" and Von Daniken. And then encountered it again, in Intro to Anthropology in college. And cracked up again.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
Yay this answers my question - I had always assumed that college profs/students were sharing giggles over it!

Also something tells me that there are a lot of us out there that had a "we tried to see Tut but couldn't" story. Because I am now remembering that line, and yes it was massive for us too. Only we were out in the midwest, where there wasn't much else going on!
That line - I think I could have handled it, but my mother had problems with the nerves in her leg then, and could never have managed it. (I knew it, and didn't bitch.)
Degrees of Affection 7 years ago
I vaguely remember coming across this at some point in my childhood, but other then a sense of not getting it, I can't seem to recall much else. Now, I think I'd greatly enjoy it; luckily my library has it!