BrokenTune 6 years ago
I have a similar reading pattern in that I use the currently reading shelf to remind me what I started but have currently set aside. As for advice on how to organise your tbr so that you have an overview... I have consistently failed at this ever since I tried to come up with a plan. For 2015, I have made a list - a chunk of my overall challenge - to be coming out of my tbr. All listed on a special shelf. Yes, it,too, is guilt tripping, but that seems to work.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 6 years ago
I think the only reason I got big into stopping the guilt thing was because I was using it for motivation but it wasn't working. Beside you know, the feeling guilt part not being fun. So I'm trying to shift into reminders over guilt. But it's an experiment so far.

The physical books stacked in front of me doesn't exactly work either. I could build a book fort around my desk and I'd still read at the same pace. But on the bright side at least I don't have to say "well I shouldn't be buying ebooks because I'd remember I had these books if they were paper!"

But now I'm wondering if I made a physical shelf somehow visually, pictures of the covers and stuck it on the wall near my desk or something. Just for the Books Set Aside, so I'd remember they were in a holding pattern. Now thinking I need to invest in a small bulletin board...
BrokenTune 6 years ago
I love the idea of a bulletin board full of pictures of covers - or even stacks showing spines - much more fun than a conventional list that you can cross off.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 6 years ago
I'm liking it too - I really need an in-my-face visual reminder that'll be hard to ignore. Also it sounds kind of fun and decorative. Will see how I can manage this, since I'll not always have a printer to mess about with in the future. May have to get crafty! I'd still use the candy jar idea too - because, candy.
BrokenTune 6 years ago
Of course! The candy is reason enough for filling a jar with it, The candy is reason enough.
Nostalgia Reader 6 years ago
I'm also going to use a tbr-jar for my ebooks this year. I always end up scrolling through my shelf, and never deciding on anything, so I'm hoping the randomness will help.

And, I must ask, which landmines book is it? I searched "landmines" but oodles of things came up, and I'm curious which one it is.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 6 years ago
It's this one:
Aftermath: The Remnants of War: From Landmines to Chemical Warfare--The Devastating Effects of Modern Combat by Donovan Webster (2011)
I heard about it by reading an article by the author who was explaining about removal of mines and other explosives from World War 2 from the French countryside. (The people who he described doing this work seemed fascinating.) At the time I had no idea that such recovery is still an ongoing thing. Since the hardcover version of this came out in 1996 - I've been trying to get around to reading this one for a LONG time!
Nostalgia Reader 6 years ago
Thank you!
Dor Does Books 6 years ago
I'm thinking about a TBR jar. Part of my trouble is a desire to save things for a special occasion (I'm culturally a Protestant, denial is pleasure) so I've got lots of books I'm excited about reading but which I won't.