Comments: 5
6 years ago
I recently read his book The Curse of the Wise Woman and enjoyed it. It was so unlike the fantasy stuff that you're describing. And, LOL that Centaur scene definitely needs to be seen on MST3K!

Anyway, the flowery prose is there, but I found it to be rather enchanting, even if it did go on too long at times. I'm not sure if his fantasy writings were during that time when he was supporting his parents, or before that or how his life played out, exactly. I believe I've read some comments that said when he was forced to write to support his family, the stories were not as good. ?
Apparently I need to read more about the man myself. :)

And I start a lot of sentences with And myself. :)
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 6 years ago
I think I've learned to be careful to check the plot on anything longer than his short stories! Because I can handle his more flowery patches - it's just in Elfland those seemed to be the entirety of the novel. (Or the parts I made it through.) He also apparently became a better writer with age (no surprise for any author there), so maybe I should also look at older stuff. Wise Woman sounded so completely like his other work that I'm really interested in it.

I'll probably pick through more of what's on Gutenberg til I get around to Wise. He's got just enough of the dark creepiness in some of his stories for me to think I need to look at more.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 6 years ago
Also when I read "I am a man-horse now!" I was all "Oh god no! Neil Gaiman, WTH with your recommendation!" I am seriously NOT over that line - ultimate goofy! I can not imagine how I could read that and be serious. Even kid-me would giggle.

But I'm betting I'll read more of his stories and never find anything with that level of silly.
And to be fair Gaiman specifically wrote about Elfland, and that had nothing like that.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 6 years ago
You can really tell those Lovecraft-loves-Dunsany ones after you've read one, can't you?! A few sentences in you're like "uh oh, it's one of those stories, sigh." It's not that I automatically hate that - it's more that I check the length because if it goes on too long that's when I'll have problems.