nospin 6 years ago
I haven't checked your list but when it has happened on mine it has been because the author/book was picked up by one of the Amazon publishing imprints. I have seen it 9 times so far.
Literary Ames 6 years ago
They show as Unavailable because they've been pulled and replaced with a new Kindle edition with a new ASIN instead of updating the one on your Wish List.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 6 years ago
Oh OK! Geez, I was wondering. I mean, a lot of these are older adds, but it seems weird that they'd just 404 them like that. Of course it DOES make me clean my wish list. Which did get me to buy a couple books on sale - so there you go, that'd be one reason.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 6 years ago
Though there's still weirdness like:

Dangerous Books For Girls: The Bad Reputation Of Romance Novels Explained
by Maya Rodale (Kindle Edition)

That's just gone.
I think my list is so long that I'm seeing numerous things going on. I'm just looking at a big batch.
Linda Hilton 6 years ago
If a digital book is author-published, the author can pull it from publication and poof!! it's gone forever without a trace. And since technically no one "owns" the Kindle editions they buy, there are no second-hand copies to remain in circulation. I think in some future age, people are going to discover old Kindles with long OODP (out of digital publication) files on them and a whole new market will open up for them.

But in most cases, yeah, what Ames said. They've just been replaced with different editions.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 6 years ago
I had this idea that now I didn't need to rush to buy something - which now I suppose I should rethink. A lot of the history/pop culture stuff has been something I'd eventually buy used, in hardback, because 1) they're really expensive new, and 2) they were usually going to be hard to find anyway due to low demand. So I assumed that now since we've gone ebook that I could stop rushing to snag a book because I might ever see it again. I thought authors would just leave the ebooks up there even if sales were slow.

Yet another reason to hope that paper sticks around a really long time. Because there'll always be used book sales. Which sucks because part of the reason I've tried to go from used to ebook is so that the authors would see some of that money.
One I've seen is than an OOP author from the 30s and 40s had kindle editions available, and then *poof* they were gone.
Linda Hilton 6 years ago
That could be from someone else republishing because they thought they were public domain, but then the original author's estate or something like that proved they still had the copyright.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 6 years ago
I think I've seen at least one of those on my list! It's tricky because if it's a long dead author you can't really be sure if it's the person charging $2 or the one who's charging $8 that's trying to take advantage - it could be either. And the publishing company names are useless too - I wish there was some way to look up how reputable they were.
Degrees of Affection 6 years ago
That's crazy! Glad to know there is a reason though.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 6 years ago
Randomly if you want to check your ebooks - here's the easiest way.

1) Go to your wishlist, find the pull down menu options that help you sort
2) Choose Filter by: Kindle Ebooks
3) Choose Sort by price Low to High

I'm still getting a lot of books saying that prices are unavailable - or simply no price can be listed and books can't be given as gifts. A lot of them are Brit imports.
6 years ago
I keep the samples of the ones I want to get in a special folder on my Kindle, "Samples to follow up". It's effectively a wish list. One I can refer to to see why I wanted it.