nospin 6 years ago
I never knew there were historical games .
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 6 years ago
Well, I think I'd call these history-ish. They do try and pull in actual historical figures but there're loads of things that aren't exactly accurate (according to gameplaying historians out there). But the cities are supposed to be well researched, and climbing up on rooftops and up towers to get a view of the place is encouraged. Lots of sightseeing fun. But of course the game is supposed to actually be about assassinating enemies. I'll be playing as someone who will be trying to avoid that and just take in the tourism. Probably won't work well.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 6 years ago
I should also mention that in AC 2 you get to hang out with Leonardo da Vinci for a little bit. So that was also a draw for me!
I love this post! I'm not a gamer at all, Mario 3 is my favorite game of all time, but Assassin's Creed has always fascinated me. A couple years ago I was really obsessed and since I don't play the game, I read all the books and I embarrassingly watched all the fan made videos on youtube, lol. I keep waiting for the movie that they have been promising for a while. Thanks for the six women of revolutionary France book link, I'll have to check that one out :)
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 6 years ago
I sooooo love all the fan videos! I spend a lot of time watching other people play the games I'd have zero patience with or time for - and that way I can at least see the art. I keep meaning to check out those books too!
A Voracious Reader 6 years ago
I'm pretty sure my kids have all of the AC games. They don't play them as much anymore, but then they have like a gajillion games to choose from and I'm sure AC will cycle back around at some point. lol
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 6 years ago
That's the thing - it's hard to make time when there's so much choice of what to play!
A Voracious Reader 6 years ago
It's an easy choice for me when I decide to play. The only one I know how to play (and I say that loosely) is Diablo III. LOL
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 6 years ago
I am big ol D3 addict. I keep telling myself I've played enough, I should be done. But the whole sparkly loot part always brings me back.
Never played Assassin's Creed; my history nerd usually comes out on my gaming side with Paradox's historical strategy games, like Crusader Kings and Europa Universalis.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 6 years ago
I've read about Crusader Kings - those always sound so cool! I am however very bad at the strategy games. But slightly better than resource management games - I have to avoid the ones where the people can complain about conditions - I guilt out way too easily over problems of virtual villagers/soldiers for some reason.
I am not a great player, but I have a lot of fun. CK2 is a strange hybrid between strategy game and family management simulator. (Don't have an inbred, kin-slaying heir, is all I can say.) EU series is more hardcore strategy; you're playing a disembodied spirit of a nation, rather than a historical person (or their descendant). I find both fun, in different ways.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 6 years ago
I have way too much fun just reading the reviews for CK2 - there's SO much of the scenario: "and then my child killed me" - or some other family member. It sounds like Game of Thrones but more so!
There's a Game of Thrones mod!
Degrees of Affection 6 years ago
I've played a bit of the first one and seen parts of the second one played. I wish I could get into it more for, like you, seeing the historical cities and society brought to life is incredible! But I'm not much of an assassin and my jumping skills are even worse. So I spent most of the time studying the same opening set ups over and over (and over and over) again. Believe me, even meeting historical people gets old when you've done it twelve+ times.

But Unity...my word I want to get my hands on that game. The French Revolution has long fascinated me and the trailers...yes, I have drooled over them. I just wish they made historical games like this that were a bit more sandboxish.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 6 years ago
Oh yeah, that was it - I forgot that I'm also crappy at jumping. I have the worst time judging distances in games. I really need a "skip this bit" button for games.
Jessica (HDB) 6 years ago
These games are SO fun. Hard, but just stunningly rendered and a ton of fun to play. The accents, the townspeople, all of it just makes for a set of games that I've loved. My hubby and I are both playing Black Flag right now :). Sailing a ship around the ocean and getting into all out gunship battles is one of my favorite parts. LOL.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 6 years ago
Everyone gushed so much over Black Flag - and I love pirate lore (and collectable sea chantys!) so I may have to try that one first. Hopefully I can watch some youtube walkthroughs for the harder parts.