Holy shit! That is an awesome amount of books.
Debbie's Spurts 8 years ago
I have trouble re-organizing hardcopies. It turns into basement or closet shopping because I keep wanting to read what I run across. I'm an Army brat and lost bits and pieces of series reads sharing with friends with our assorted moves plus collected book flotsam where neighbors moving ask " do you want these books? " — took me decades to stop saying "yes," mostly due to lack of storage. *gleam in eye* ebooks on the other hand ...
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 8 years ago
"It turns into basement or closet shopping because I keep wanting to read what I run across"

I am totally doing this! I keep finding book after book and thinking "I CAN"T pack this! I must read it!" I'm trying to make a pile to set aside to read but it keeps getting larger. I am NOT good at this part.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 8 years ago
Sadly that's not anywhere near finished. Those are just the last batch I've gotten added to the list but am keeping. There are 40+ going to the used book store at our library (they sell everything and library uses funds). But the great thing is that I've got all those added to my list too, so I don't have to someday wonder what I got rid of. (Because I have the feeling I will do that.) This isn't sad in that I'm pretty sure I won't be rereading for example my cognitive psych book. Heh.
The Charcoal Burner 8 years ago
I've never heard of anyone else doing this but - I line each box with a plastic bag and place the books inside it, lying flat. I've shipped thousands of books overseas and had them in storage for as long as a year. Since I can't know where they'll be and under what conditions, the plastic ensures that there's no water damage. For valuable books, I wrap with paper and/or bubble wrap.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 8 years ago
@ Charcoal Burner - that makes me feel better because I usually just line the bottom of the box with that moving paper you can buy in rolls, and I was wondering if putting plastic on the bottom under that paper would be overkill.
The Charcoal Burner 8 years ago
Top and bottom wouldn't hurt. Boxes do get rained on. Some people line with newspaper but that's dirty. I tape the boxes quite thoroughly as well. I've moved a lot and my books have never been damaged or mildewed
. And put crumpled up paper into crevices that might allow the books to shift.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 8 years ago
This is again reassuring me that I'm not going overboard on any of that. Ahem, I may have been accused in past moved of "going to town" with my use of packing tape. Heh.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 8 years ago
Also making note to get even more paper to crumple, now that I think of it...
The Charcoal Burner 8 years ago
There's no such thing as overkill where packing is concerned because no one else cares about your stuff as much you do.