SilverThistle 8 years ago
So, it's 1.99 to buy all those free books together but with a 50 shades style cover? I hope nobody is tempted.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 8 years ago
I just added it a few seconds ago - it also has Classic Erotica and then some essays and lists. I'm wondering if the essay on fanfic is something that's already been posted free online.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 8 years ago
Er by it I mean the contents. Which makes up a good chunk of the sample.
Yeah, and all public domain as far as I know. For freak's sake!
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 8 years ago
Oddly I almost want someone to read it and review how many pages those essays and lists take up at the end. Because that's the only original writing in the book.
Ugh. How awful.
Rabbit Reads 8 years ago
*blinks* no thanks.
Abandoned by user 8 years ago
WTF is this nonsense?
Oy... Even w/ some of the classics, I don't think I'm up for the challenge of reading & reviewing this thing. *wince*
Well played E.L. James, well played. Milking your success for what it's worth. On the plus side, perhaps it introduces people to actual Literature which they otherwise might not have considered picking up. (Needless to say I still have faith in humanity).
Also, they might make a Musical Companion with all the wonderful classical pieces and other songs referenced in the books! Again, if that is what it takes to make people realise there was culture prior to the year in which they were born I'm all for it.
Ok, perhaps Venus in Furs is not the classic I had in mind while writing the above. Oddly enough Marquis de Sade's 100 Days of Sodom is too --- to hold up that romanticised idea and, perhaps therefore, did not make this anthology either
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 8 years ago
Actually I don't think EL James is getting anything out of this - it's the Maplewood Books people that are using the 50 Shades title to get people to buy. Every other title they sell on Amazon is public domain - which means they exist only to sell free books.

Which is why I wonder who wrote the essays at the end and whether they took those from something posted online, without asking.
I'm reminded of the edition of Wuthering Heights sold with the sticker "Bella and Edward's Favorite Book!" on it.
Ouch. There really are no limits these days ...