Between The Lines 7 years ago
Very best of luck, hope your things aren’t in storage too long
Good luck! And I hope you'll be able to get to your books soon. *virtual hugs* I wish I could come down and help you pack up/move things for you to make it easier.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
Hey thanks, both of you! Wow, I've not moved anywhere near that, Curmudgeon! This is the longest I've had living in one place I think (10 yrs), but not the first long distance move (thankfully, at least I know what to expect, mostly). The thing is that even if I had everything packed today and all finished up, I'd find something else to stress out. Because, moving. BetweenTheLines - I hope it's not long either, but the lack of plans there is also part of the - hmm, not exactly stress, just kinda annoying.

The one good thing about living in California - earthquakes have encouraged me not to have too many breakable things. Because the worst that happens in a usual quake is that something vibrates itself off a shelf - and if you have non breakable things on those shelves, there's no worry of damage to the little things. (Or you use this blue sticky tack and stick everything down on your shelves, which a lot of people do.)
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
Heh, thanks @Grim - I'm a really dangerous friend to have when I'm moving. The last time this happened I unloaded lots of furniture, etc. etc. on a friend who came over to help. (I think she was happy with it at the moment, but I bet she had fun with all of it when it was her next moving day!)
Even more reason for me to come and help. (Plus, I get clumsy, too. We might both end up with boxes on top of each other, and wouldn't that be a kick in the pants!)
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
We'd have to compare bruises, because I'm becoming really good at tripping over boxes that I've forgotten I moved from one place to another!
Robert Edward 7 years ago
Be sure not to lose some the physical books! My mom just moved and she lost a book by steven king that he actually unpublished so now its super rare!

So keep an eye on dem books >..
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
That's one reason why I'm still adding stuff to GR - this time I'm keeping a list of what I have and where (and then saving it in a cvs file). Hopefully that'll keep me from losing anything.
Fingers crossed!!
Witty Little Knitter 7 years ago
Good luck :) I did move out of my student's flat recently but that's nowhere near as stressful as a 'proper' move.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
Oh it's still got the "everything is in boxes - where did I put that thing X that I now need - did I remember to do everything" fun of a move, so student-moving totally counts! (I'm moving out of a large apartment, so I guess technically it's still not quite an entire house move.)
When I moved back to Germany from California 10 years ago, I set aside the books I thought I was absolutely not going to be able to do without and sent them by mail ahead of the stuff going with the movers ... (we're talking about some 4 or 5 filing boxes' worth of books I couldn't live without here). Turns out the movers were better than their word and everything arrived pretty much at the same time -- so I could have saved a lot of money on postage! ;) Still would probably do it the same way again ...
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
Oh this is funny, because I thought I'd do that too - and then I thought, no, I'll just pack as many books as I can into my suitcase (and I bought a large one just to do this) since I'll be taking a few trips to my destination anyway. In the end even paying a big chunk for "oversize overweight baggage" to the airlines it was still cheaper than mailing them. But I'm also not going overseas - I'm pretty sure I'd have mailed them too, because I'd feel so much happier knowing the books would be there waiting!
Well, they weren't there waiting ... I didn't send them by airmail, the costs of which would have been prohibitive. But in your case, a large suitcase definitely sounds prefereable. I've been known to do stuff like that as well, have even taken an empty suitcase on trips to fill with books (and other souvenirs) on the road ...

I bet you're going to be exhausted by the time all those trips back and forth are finally done with, though! :(
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
When I last listed the places I've lived someone asked if I was a military brat, and I had to say no (dad left the service when I was little), I've just bounced around the US by chance! Wow, living in Naples - now that is a really cool place to be stationed! I always hope everyone in the service gets at least one epic post like that.
Jamie's Book Blog 7 years ago
I hope your move is going well for you. I was going to suggest ebooks but you already thought about that. I don't have near as many books as I used to so my kindle has been a huge help but still, I have a bunch of books.

I never thought about backing my music up on a cloud server somewhere. That's a great idea. I've lost so many cd's or they get scratched up and I can't listen to them and as for gaming I haven't bought a lot of games on steam yet but that's starting to look more and more appealing to me. I have so many game boxes and cases and crap everywhere plus it's so annoying to put Baldur's Gate II in only to find out I've ruined yet another copy. I've bought that game at least 10 times. BGI and BGII are still my favorites.

Loved Dragon Age Origins, not such much the second one though. You definitely do not want to lose those saved games. Can you put them on a disc or maybe a little zip drive or one of those usb storage drives? You might could even back up the file on a cloud server. I don't know much about steam so hopefully you have the saved files somewhere and if not then hopefully they're on steams servers. Good luck to you again.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
I've bought a special thumbdrive just to back up the games before I take down my computer. It's funny, the only thing I'm really worried about at this point is taking the computer on the car trip without damaging it/losing any data. Because that's the one thing that would be really impossible to fix! I really love Origins, but I have yet to complete the main story because I don't want it to end and I've already self-spoilered the plot and am not ready for any of those Big Choices type decisions. At least not until I have time to sit down and play it again multiple times, so I can have the ending I want! I have to admit I bought DAII on sale but haven't even started it due to needing to finish the first one. That's on my list for Things To Do Once I Move!
Jamie's Book Blog 7 years ago
The second game was fun but you can tell they rushed it. Unfortunately you get ALOT of the same scenery over and over. Going into the same exact sewer tunnels or the same exact buildings over and over and for Bioware that was not good. It's kind of the point where Bioware's games just started slipping in my opinion. The storyline was great and the combat was more streamlined but not near as many choices in combat or with gear. Some things were better, some things were worse. But I'd definitely play it, was great for the story alone.

I had a very hard time with the decisions in the first one. I finally just forced myself to chose the ones that I thought were best. One of the decisions is a monster, omg it's just crazy and well I'm not going to ruin it for you but it was pretty insane. So glad I did multiple saves so I could go back and choose something else.

You can make a backup disc I think for most computers and save everything as an image, I think it would save all your files too but I'm not one hundred percent sure.