silverneurotic 7 years ago
That definitely sounds like an interesting book. I never read much Nancy Drew, but I did read a few "classic Drew" and one or two "New Drew" books when I was younger.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
I've actually only read two, maybe three myself - once you read a bit of them you pick up on what the entire series is like - or at least up until the 1950s. It's definitely nice in that this is one series where you can make some generalizations about things without feeling that you have to read all of the original 20 or so books.
Gag me. (I've only read ones from the 30s.)
Degrees of Affection 7 years ago
Completely agree. I love the original ones, partially because you didn't have any of...that. And they made Bess even worse.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
Ah and something that's also important - there is a difference between the original ones from the 1930s-1950s and the reprints. Most of the reprints are revisions - which means they went in and gutted chunks of the novel to update it. There is one publishing company who apparently sells the original, unrevised versions.
Degrees of Affection 7 years ago
Do you know which one? Because I had wondered about that but shrugged it off as misremembering. I read a lot of the originals, thanks to a couple of family members and then would re-read it from the library...and it was not quite what I remembered. I always thought it was my bad memory or mixing books up...wow. That makes me...very angry. I learned at an early age I dislike revisions and gutting books. *sigh*
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
There is a quick way to tell if you have a revised version or not - the revised one is 5 chapters shorter than the originals. If your copy has 25 chapters, it's original - 20 it's revised. From a great fan/collector website:

"If any of the volumes you have of 1-7, 11-25, or 30 have 25 chapters and around 200 or so pages, you have an original text Nancy Drew book--the text version that Millie wrote. If it only has 20 chapters, and a date past 1959 on the copyright page, it is the revision. The revisions pared down the descriptive text, sometimes deleted scenes or added new scenes, and as Millie has said, "took the spice out of them." A lot of Millie's text is still in them however, except for volumes, 2, 4, 5, 11, 12, 14, 17, and 18. When these were revised, they became all new stories or had mostly new plots and characters. 2 and 4 retain more similarities than the others however but still have changed plots and character direction."
Degrees of Affection 7 years ago
Thanks! I'll be on the lookout for those. Are those the only ones they pared down?
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
From what I could find on the fan sites, yeah those are the main ones to watch out for. Or at least that changed the most. Unfortunately they went under more than one makeover process through the years, so there could be other changes. Probably none that lost so many chapters though.
I remember reading both sets (the oldies and the 80's revamps) of Nancy Drew. The 80's ones got SO REPETITIVE, I remember reading the last chapter to figure out whodunnit. The classics, however, were MUCH better.

Reading this excerpt is reminding me of the book I'm currently reading, "Wonder Woman Unbound". WW experienced a similar change in the 1970's so-called "mod" era, when she lost her powers and adopted new hairstyles/clothes.
Degrees of Affection 7 years ago
I've been wondering if that book was any good. It looked interesting .
WW Unbound is AMAZING!! Highly recommended!!
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
Definitely adding that to the TBR list!
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
Oh and yeah, they were indeed repetitive, similar to the way some of the Agatha Christies can be. (I had one of those self-assigned reading projects in high school to read all of them.) My feeling about why Nancy was so beloved really comes down to the fact that she was active and self confident - and there weren't many other female characters that were - at least in the children's lit book series of the time.
"Right now," she said to her two friends, "the hardest part of this case is deciding what to wear."

That is so not the Nancy Drew I remember from my childhood!
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
I found the bit "Nancy studied herself in the mirror. She liked what she saw." - to be particularly creepy. Whoever wrote all that - just ugh, not attractive. And it wouldn't have been to the teenage me either.
Debbie's Spurts 7 years ago
I'm glad I didn't read the 80s revamp.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
I would love to read someone snark it to death though. It just screams "please use gifs to review me." Or maybe that's because it makes me think of grumpy cat.
Debbie's Spurts 7 years ago
Grump cat and the brat-pack/mall-rat era with a soundtrack from Tiffany ...
Reflections 7 years ago
Obsessing over clothes and admiring her legs in tight jeans!? Who is that character, because it's not the Nancy Drew I knew.