Olga Godim 7 years ago
Yikes! I dislike this book already. Executions?
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
After I wrote that I cheated and picked up the book again - that execution ended one paragraph after I put the book down. Thankfully.

It's just that one execution in the whole book. I'd say that the only other "ew, gross" moments are a man beating his wife and several descriptions of very unpleasant men that women have to marry/sleep with (arranged marriages).
My favorite old-fashioned form of execution: drowning in a butt of malmsey (a wine).
Speaking of treatment of women in the 18th century; have you read How to Create the Perfect Wife?
Bettie's Books 7 years ago
*chuckles*

Don't ever read about the Ottomans, Batgrl. History and gore go hand in hand however I ::really:: get your point about certain authors creaming it to the last adjective.
Reflections 7 years ago
I practice my skimming skills for passages like that.
Degrees of Affection 7 years ago
I'll agree with you on the pictures...um, no.

And what a random and disturbing thing to include in a book about a man sleeping around. Awkward.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
I have such an odd relationship with gore in books - if I know it's coming, I can handle it. Mostly. But if I'm in a kinda wimpy mood, can not do - I'll gross out easily in those moods. This one just built up - and also the whole "it's NOT working" part - ugh, was sooooo not prepared. What's dorky about this is I have a curiosity for horror and crime and books about them, so it's not like this is the first time I've had to deal with this.

@SusannaG - I really really want to read that book! When I heard about it - I forget who was reading it, you maybe? - I immediately went to wikipedia to read about what's his name, who felt he could create a wife through education. That's still a scenario that no one would believe if it was a novel.

@Bettie - I think I have indeed been queased-out in reading if not Ottomans something around their time period!

@Reflections - that was the hard part, I tried to skim, but every time I skipped a bit it was still going on about the horses.

@Degrees - it was totally unrelated to Richelieu himself, but he was one of Louis XV's gentlemen of the bedchamber who were acting as bodyguards at the time that Louis was attacked by a knife-wielding commoner. And it was that commoner that was executed. So it was the author trying to give us the rest of the story, even though there wasn't any indication (in what I skimmed) that Richelieu was even at the execution.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
It's going to be terribly silly if I go back when writing up the review and it's like 2 1/2 pgs long and my over-active gross-out-o-meter completely blew that out of proportion.