That's a compliment to King in a way. He meant to scare you. He was just a bit too effective for his own good!
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
Yeah, he has a lot of background on writing horror in it that makes me see how he's good at it - which I have to admire. I just don't know how ready I am to try and find out what'll stick in my brain again. It's always something weird that I can't seem to predict - and King's just so good with those kinds of "someone will be freaked out by THIS part" details.

I now have to go see which ebook I have - I think it's the Shining. Which might not give me nightmares since I have read all the plot points. And we don't have any topiary in our yard. (Someone who lives not too far from us does - large ducks. I think I'm safe.)
I have The Shining, too!
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
Yep I doublechecked - that's the one! I have now moved it into my Reading Now file, which doesn't say alot since there're 90 books in there. Now I just need to get brave and be in the right mood!
It was on sale for a couple bucks when Doctor Midnight came out.

And same with my currently reading file -_-
Chris' Fish Place 7 years ago
I do the Gory/Gorey thing too. Doesn't help that first place I saw his art was Mystery on PBS.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
I now have that theme song in my head. Which is odd, because it's not something you can easily hum.
I still really love that opening! Also urns, when I get my new apartment I must remember to get urns. (I actually think I have one. But it's small.)
Sarah's Library 7 years ago
I have a couple of recurring nightmares that I've been having since I was a young teenager. The first one seems to have something to do with The Wizard of Oz movie and its twister. A twister is coming for us (or sometimes just me) in my grandparent's old beach house (a shack-type structure that my Grandad built on 10 metre high stilts 50 years ago and sold 10 years ago) and there's no escape.

The other features a 'doctor' (resembles Frankenstein with a lab coat than my local GP) with a t-shirt with the phrase "Look into my eye" written below one of those spiral/hypnosis things. He's making a house visit to the house we lived in 18 years ago and as soon as he comes in the front door the house turns into a spooky factory with pipes running everywhere with steam hissing and moisture dripping (very reminiscent of a favourite Nintendo video game of my childhood and some scenes from the first Nightmare on Elm Street). He chases me through the 'house' trying to give me an eye exam (the one where they put a chemical into your eyes to make them dilate so they can see the back more clearly). I wake up as my last chance to escape the doctor becomes suicide by jumping from a cliff that suddenly appears in my bedroom.

Those dreams have plagued me for years, them and the ever-popular falling dream with a cobblestone tower rushing past me. I'm not sure, and will probably regret saying this as it might make it come true, but I think I wouldn't mind a new nightmare to replace those old ones.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
My worry is always that any nightmare fuel I add will just be adapted into the old version. Now that I've said that, I don't think I've had any King-lit-related nightmares in a long while - all the ones I can remember are from my own brain. So yeah, maybe I do need new topics!

That mad doctor one would really freak me out. The twister - it now occurs to me that it's odd I've never had a dream about those because I've actually been in quite a few tornadoes, one close enough to hear (they do actually sound like trains, which I hadn't experienced til then).
Sarah's Library 7 years ago
Despite there being a 99.99% impossibility that I'll ever be in a tornado, I'm actually quite terrified of them. You can't do anything to stop them, you can't sandbag or water bomb them, they just come, and if you're unlucky, then you're unlucky. I don't like being out of control of situations that severely effect my life.