Nitchslap'd 7 years ago
Every time someone mentions thrift shop I want to post Macklemore lyrics.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
And somehow I'm only just now earwormed. How could I not think of that song earlier?
But! I have another thrift shop song to combat it with:
Pianosaurus - Thriftshoppin
Olga Godim 7 years ago
I know what you mean. And it's just a thrift store. What about secondhand bookstores? Don't you love those? I do, the ones that remain in our city at least.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
I loooove secondhand bookstores!!! But those I can prepare for because I know going in that there will be books I will want. Thrift stores are tricky because often the books look interesting from a distance but once you get close you find there's really nothing you're interested in - but that also depends on where the store is located and who's just donated a ton of books. I have a much better chance of not finding anything at the thrift store. Except for this one I went to today, which I've now decided to dub dangerous. Or at least dangerous if I'm trying not to/pretending I'll never buy more books!
Oh, I know all about the "One Thing."

I have two: books and yarn.

Heh.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
I know both yarnoholics and fabricoholics/quilters! I was only a cheap-yarn-oholic but decided I had to calm down about crocheting when I the shawl I was making turned into a bedspread when I wasn't paying attention.
Yeah, they'll do that.

I have to have rules for yarnshops, or it gets ridiculous. I know what type of yarn I need for a project I'm definitely going to knit, and how much of it: yes, I can get that yummy yarn! Otherwise, it has to be in the discount bin, or no sale.

There is no rule that could prevent me going nuts in a bookstore, of course!
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
Heh, yarn rules - oooh I so recognize this, this is what my quilter friend has with fabric. I think I crocheted so much just because I was having fun doing it more than I was making anything useful. (Thus, bedspread. Which was way too warm to use often.)

Actually yarn seems more dangerous than fabric because some kinds of yarn feel so much nicer than a lot of fabrics. Of course those are the ones that are like worth their weight in gold.

Actually this makes me think I need to have bookstore rules. I need to define limits. Or at least set a number - At This Point I Must Say No. Hmmm. Must now ponder...
Yeah, why I'll never knit a cashmere sweater: the yarn would cost more than a bought cashmere sweater!
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
And not only is it expensive some yarn stores do not like you handling it! ...Ok it is weird to spend too long patting the yarn because it feels nice. But it does!
I don't shop at yarn shops where they don't let you fondle the yarn. How else do I know whether I want to knit with it?! (I find texture crucial in deciding if I want a yarn; it's more important even than color.)
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
It occurs to me that I'm probably a chocoholic. Especially since I keep an emergency stash of hot cocoa mix for those times when there is no chocolate in the house and for some reason I must have some.

...And of course now that I mention it I must go hunt some up. I think there are some chocolate mints stashed in the freezer. (Unless someone else got to them first.)
I love chocolate but don't get to have real chocolate very often; I'm on limited sugar.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
My mom's supposed to be on a somewhat limited sugar diet but her doctor didn't give her strict enough information, and she's very unaware of how much sugar is in the non sweet foods she buys. I had a roommate who's diabetic and I always ate what she did, so I've been trying to help out by not buying certain things - but I always forget how annoying it is where the sugar sneaks in. Thus I usually have little chocolate around the place - or it's hidden in the freezer. I'm pretty sure I could make do with sugarfree cocoa - for some reason hot drink+mug always works. Er, just not in August.
I'm not diabetic, but I take steroids, so I try to be careful with sugar. And sugar creeps into the weirdest places at the grocery store! My mother's favorite bread has 4 grams of sugar a slice. 8 grams for a sandwich? I think not. (Result: we buy a lot of bread: her sandwich bread, my sandwich bread, and rye/pumpernickel/"country round" etc.)

Reading the information panels helps; but you can't catch everything.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
Argh, I completely forgot to check bread numbers. We are a bread-a-holic family as it is, and mom loves her morning toast. She's been on steroids for a knee/joint problem, so that's probably part of the reason for her diet. What will be funny will be if the bread she eats (I joke that it's covered with twigs and sticks, because it has all sorts of nuts and seeds and bits in it) has more sugar than my plain ol brown bread. (We have fairly regular conversations/debates about the nuts, etc. bread being more healthy. Which is why it seems silly that I haven't checked it for sugar yet.)