Mammarella 7 years ago
Loved it! Especially so because of multiple POVs :)
...Bookfanatic 7 years ago
I honestly had zero expectations of liking this series. My only hope was because of who the author was so needless to say it was an unexpectedly pleasant surprise that I ended up loving it as much as I did. Ms Gala wrote a fabulous story with these books and I've got my fingers crossed that we haven't seen the last of this pairing and yes, the multiple POVs were prefect.
Mammarella 7 years ago
Especially the grandmother, that was an unexpected surprise. Make me want to re-read the books again :) I think I might. Funny, I lined up several books that I want to re-read, doesn't happen to me very often nowadays, what with the all new shiny stories popping up left and right.
Mammarella 7 years ago
PS did you get anything good on Amazon's DSP sale? I only bought Mary Sexton's Shotgun and Demon of Mine.
...Bookfanatic 7 years ago
I got a few but I got them over at Kobo because then I don't have to pay the exchange rate so it makes it a better deal for me. I ended up buying Poppy Dennison's Mind Magic, Keelan Ellis's I'll Still Be There, Shae Connor's Model Student, Elle Brownlee's Emergency Contact and Bru Baker's Playing House. They all seemed good and I figured at $1 a book if they weren't it was not big loss. I looked at the two that you got as well and realized that I already have them :-)
Mammarella 7 years ago
I have pretty much all of them - sad, really ;) But not all of them are on my TBR list.
...Bookfanatic 7 years ago
That was me the last time they did they're $1 book sale. The only ones that I didn't have were ones that even for a dollar, I really didn't want them. I think there were all of 2 maybe 3. But they got their monies worth out of me this time because the Poppy Dennison series is 4 books so I bought the other 3, Bru Baker's series was 3 books and since it was book 3 on sale I of course picked up the first 2 and there was a second book to go with the Keelan Ellis book so I bought it. I figured what the hell I know I'm going to buy them eventually so I may as well just bit the bullet and get it done.
Mammarella 7 years ago
ha-ha, that's how it works! :D However I am now more savvy - I won't buy an author unless I know for sure is good, like John Wiltshire, I am still a JW virgin, but everyone knows his books are safe to buy.
...Bookfanatic 7 years ago
If it's someone I haven't read I'm cautious but I'll still take a chance from time to time. Speaking of John Wiltshire his book 8 for the series More Heat Than the Sun has been released and according to one of the reviews that I saw it' looks like it's the last one. So I guess I'll be going back to that series to finish it up soon. But I feel the need to torture myself with book #33 from Carol Lynne's Cattle Valley series first...I'm such a glutton for punishment, lol.
Mammarella 7 years ago
oh, no! say it ain't so! book #33??? i only have a handful and I couldn't even finish the 5 I have. read #3 and #18. I tried #1 and had to dnf :/
Mammarella 7 years ago
i mean, not that it was horrible, it's just... it's ... simplistic? "To Bed a King" was especially pathetic. Looking back at my ratings, I know a gave too many stars, but at that point in time I was still trying to be nice to the authors.
...Bookfanatic 7 years ago
Yep book #33 and ironically it's called Karma and thankfully it's short and I've only got a few pages to go. I probably wouldn't have read them all if I hadn't gotten them a couple of years ago when somebody at Kobo screwed up and they had a 90% off code that I was able to use over and over and over again. I got so many cheap books that day it was ridiculous and now it's like a personal challenge to see if I can read them all but I don't after this one I may decide that I've had enough. The main character is someone that's been in previous books and is just a giant bag of dicks and I'm really not seeing the relationship between him and the other MC it just feels like a bunch of BS.
Mammarella 7 years ago
There was a couple of non brainers, tho, that were perfect for some mindless reading on public transportation or in line.
Sadly, discount Kobo days are gone :( Their ridiculous point system is outrageous. You have to buy too much to get a free one. I am down to ARe, where before I had 5-6 good sites to choose from.
Ugh.... need bacon....
...Bookfanatic 7 years ago
So far #23 Hawk's Landing & #31 Snake Charmer have been my favorites. A number of the other ones have been ok, not epic but quick, light reading with a pleasant enough story and some interesting and entertaining moments and a few have been pretty much a case of 'shoot me now'.

I agree Kobo's discount system sucks and they don't let you know when they're having their bonus points days which I would totally save up my money and wishlist for. I stumbled across one a week or two ago and the bonus points they were giving we totally outrageous in the best way. I was buying one or two books and getting enough bonus points to get another one, so it was like a 2 for 1 sale. The thing for me is because of the Canada/US exchange rate I can buy 10 books or even less and save enough to treat myself to another book plus I still get the bonus points. Although I also still use ARe for books that I can't get from Kobo or if the difference between prices is insignificant because the Kobo book is over priced.
Mammarella 7 years ago
I find m/m pretty compatible. Prices differ from site to site, so it's normal.
ARe is the best and mostly because of their rebate program, into which gift certificates often fall, too. Right now I have about $170 in ebucks and I think in the end I spent less than $70 what with additional promotions on groupons.
Amazon lending program is great, but I feel bad asking, because I hate spending money with them and can't reciprocate.
What a girl to doooooo??? *pulls hair* One site left standing, maybe DSP, but not as much and they are a publisher.
*****
I am finishing After Midnight by Santino Hassell now. Verrry happy reading (not a happy book, but a very happy reading :D) And then I will go back to Ondry and Liam. I am going to re-read book one :D
...Bookfanatic 7 years ago
I loved After Midnight but then I was totally blown away by the whole ICoS series. I'm trying to catch up on a bunch of series that I've got books floating around for. LIke the last book in Rhys Ford's Cole McGinnis series, Tere Michaels series Faith, Love & Devotion, Ally Blue's book #3 of her Mojo Mysteries, J.P. Bowie #10 of his Portraits series John Wiltshire's More Heat Than the Sun and that's just the tip of the iceberg but I really want to get caught up on them. My problems not having any good books to read, it's deciding which one. I want to read them all at the same time. Pretty sure that's not possible...but a girl can wish.
Mammarella 7 years ago
Don't we all belong to the same club? :D I wish I new how to speed-read.
And the series? It's a plague! There are hardly any stand-alones anymore :(
...Bookfanatic 7 years ago
Speed reading would definitely be helpful. I know everything has to be a series. I don't even mind duologies or trilogies but why does everyone have to try and write something that's who knows how many books long. Sometimes less is more for crying out loud. My personal favorite are the ones who right something and they call it 'the whatever trilogy' they use the world right in the title and then next thing you know book #4 comes out and they're still using the word 'trilogy' really? They're an author they own a dictionary? Do they need someone explain what that word means for them? Could they not at least drop that damn word from the title and replace it with series. I want to send them an e-mail or something and say see this word...trilogy...do you not know what it means? It means a group of '3' this is book '4' Dear author, get your shit together. Ok, that was my little rant I feel better now :-)
Mammarella 7 years ago
Poppy Dennison is the one who's doing it, too. I don't mind when things can be read as a stand-alone, like "After Midnight". It's perfect. But you read a trilogy ... and you think you're done, and then a year later, out of the blue, there is ANOTHER book. And you have to read every previous book AGAIN. I don't understand that. Get a new set of names, for crying out loud! If you're a good writer, all will be well and people will still love you.

OK, I am going back to GR to piss and moan about that idiot who wrote "Quinn". GR's robot (GRobot) removed my review, it was flagged so many times :/
...Bookfanatic 7 years ago
I've been over there going through the reviews and liking anything that's 1 star or just generally a never-gonna-happen.