Sorry for the verbal spewing today folks. I guess I just have a lot of words that need to get out.
Plus, this profile info is now a page on my home page so people can remember who I am :-D
Hol 1 year ago
Thanks for being so open and honest.
There have been enough times that if someone had even casually glanced at this, it might have made a difference in how we interacted. It also reminds me that what I might take for granted, others have no idea about...
Carpe Librum 1 year ago
This is awesome! And we have more in common than I thought :-) Ummm, not the part about being a man. lol
See, we're interacting better already! I don't think you're a man and you don't think I'm a woman. We both win :-D
RedT Reads Randomly 1 year ago
Very cool post, BookS. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks. It wasn't very hard, as most of this was already written in my Grim List, so I just had to modify a couple :-)
I love your reviews. They give me an idea of how other people would take books that I may read and help to better review and recommend things. We are very different and I respect that. Thank you for posting this, most of it I have picked up on from you're reviews, but some I didn't know. Nice to get to know you better.
I figured that no one knew I was prickly, so I figured I'd make that obvious *wink*
Are you sure you don't mean prickish instead of prickly? Just kidding. Lol
Some would argue that, for sure :-)
NerdyBirdie 1 year ago
This post is really cool, Bookstooge! Thanks for sharing! :D
Glad to share!
Great post! It's good to know another devout Christian :)
One reason I state it so bluntly is to help me act like it.Of course, what some people expect a Christian to act like has more to do with the movie Heidi than what the Bible says :-)
Carpe Librum 1 year ago
Good idea. I may be too discreet in the interest of being nonconfrontational. Thanks for your bold example!
Well, only be as bold as you have to be. For me, it is more about showing mercy and being patient instead of just lashing out here online. Which is wicked hard for me :-)
Carpe Librum 1 year ago
It sure can be!
From Dark Places 1 year ago
Nice to stick all the bits and bobs in one post. Pastor Stooge maybe we can form a book nerds cult :)
as long as Gregor Xane's puppets show up for service :-)
BrokenTune 1 year ago
Great post, Bookstooge! And I love that we have very little in common apart from a shared liking of pizza, and yet still haven't fallen out.
Carpe Librum 1 year ago
Yeah, it's those people who don't like pizza that you have to watch out for. ;-)
BrokenTune 1 year ago
Lol. You're probably right.
@brokentune - I suspect that we've not had a tantrum from me BECAUSE we don't have a lot in common. I love reading your reviews as they tend to be books I wouldn't read :-D

As for pizza. Ahh, if only we could create world peace through pizza...
BrokenTune 1 year ago
Has anyone tried the "peace through pizza" idea, yet? It might be worth a go.
Well, you'll lose the a large part of the African contingent. In seminary, all the zimbabweans [sp?] hated cheese. We had good times using bible verses to show how righteous/evil cheese was.
Carpe Librum 1 year ago
Ha! That's great. Poor souls, missing out on cheesy goodness.
Just out of curiosity, how to you reconcile religion and Fantasy? I mean specifically th made up religions in many Fantasy novels. Are you able to separate yourself, remembering that it's meant to be entirely fictional?
That is a FANTASTIC question and one I've put quite a bit of thought into. I'll answer it in the next comment in about an hour. I'm at work at the moment :-) But thank you for asking. I love that type of question...
ok, here we go.

Easy, simple answer is that yes, fantasy is fiction. It has no bearing on reality, is just imagination, etc, etc. It is all part of that whole Free Will thing :-)

More complicated answer. As long as something isn't outside of God's character, I don't see that it is in anyway wrong to speculate about what may be. God is omnipotent, and if we mere humans can speculate about alternate realities/universes, why couldn't He have created them as well? Now, I don't think any "alternate" places have fallen, hence there is no devil/evil and hence Jesus never needed to go there personally and save them all. I think our plane of existence is the only one that is experiencing the conflict that shapes our entire lives and imaginations.

As for other religions. If the author isn't trying to push a distinctly anti-Christian religion [which happens quite a bit], then said religion simply falls into the imagination realm for me. I have a problem when something is attempting to be "real", even philosophically, when it opposes basic Christian theology in regards to God's nature. If a world/universe never fell into rebellion, it would be radically different than ours but God wouldn't be different. They would be experiencing different aspects of God's character, but God would still be Jehovah. But to transfer our reality's struggle into another possibility is simply using the imagination we've been given.

I also realize that I am reading authors who don't believe what I do and some even oppose it. As long as what I'm reading isn't changing my outlook, ie, I'm strong enough in my beliefs, then I also don't have a problem with it. However, if I find that something is influencing me in a way that is contrary to Christianity, then I'll stop. Also, if what I'm reading is causing someone else problems [perhaps they aren't as firmly rooted in their beliefs as me], then I'd have to consider long and hard if I wanted to keep on reading said book.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for that well thought out answer. I do prefer to see world building entirely invent an imaginary religion rather than pushing an agenda, yet at the same time some of the good/evil dichotomies that are based on Christianity can be interesting, and they reference widely known concepts.
LunaLuss 1 year ago
I do think that sometimes belief is strengthened when it is exposed to some degree of doubt that is overcome.
Bettie's Books 1 year ago
hello there Mr and Mrs Bookstooge
:O)
Ahoy there Bettie! Glad you're on board...
RedT Reads Randomly 1 year ago
Good answer, BookStooge. And Lora, good question.
My parents are about the most devout and spiritual people I know. We come from people who are religious to the extreme.
When we were much younger, I overheard a conversation between Mom and one of her sisters-in-law where my aunt was interrogating my mother over my reading choices, and saying that Mom should be worrying about where my reading would be taking me.
My mother responded, "No, I'm confident that my children know the difference between what is right and what is wrong, and we trust them to make their own decisions regarding their entertainment and act in accordance with their beliefs." And that was another good answer. I was so proud of my mom, and proud to be her daughter. It's one of my favorite Mom stories. She's also the one who tuned me in to spiritual versus religious.
I admit that there have been some books and movies that made me question whether I should stop enjoying them.
nice to hear a good parent/child story.
Great answer, Bookstooge! I am also secure in my beliefs that reading fictional stuff usually doesn't bother me. If a book does try to push an anti-Christian view, I might still read it because I am interested in why someone would feel that way (unless they are especially nasty about it). I have a problem with books labeling themselves as christian fiction and the writing going totally against biblical principles. Those I usually stop reading.
Yeah, I tend to read little to none christian fiction. Mainly because they're more about pushing their theological point than about actually telling a good story. and this whole indie explosion thing hasn't helped the quality of their writing either :-(
Martini 1 year ago
Great idea to post all of this info, thanks for sharing!
As we haven't "known" each other for long, I wasn't aware that you are a man. Regarding the male/female ratio here, I just realized that I'm doing something quite sexist: I simply assume that everybody on here is female, until I find out otherwise.
As to your point 7, I feel absolutely the same, though I usually react in a different way: When the mere presence of people is starting to wear me out (online or in real life), I become silent, I just withdraw myself. In real life, it is more difficult, though. There is often somebody well-meaning who is trying to include me into a conversation, because they don't realize that there is a reason for me not saying anything. If they keep forcing a conversation upon me and I'm not able to leave for some reason, I can get very nasty. So yes, I know where you're coming from.
well, MOST of the time you're right with your assumptions. And I've been guilty of it too :-)
mattries37315 1 year ago
I can't remember if you did something like this a few years ago or not, and if you did if I asked this question. I'm a 7th Day Adventist myself, whenever I see Baptist and 7th Day in relation to one another I immediately think 7th Day Baptists. Are you one? Or had you heard of this denomination before? Again I'm just curious.

As to Lora's great question, since other's have shared their own answers I will as well. Like yourself and other's I'm secure in my beliefs enough not to get influenced by created religions in fantasy. Given that I have a history degree, I've made it a point to learning about world religions so as to help my understanding if a particular book on history delves into it. So in-between reading sessions on a particular fantasy book, I'll think about various details of any religions shown in them and guess the particular religion and/or denomination that an author was drawing influences from.
My wife is 7th day adventist and while I'm nominally non-denominational, probably the best box to fit me in would indeed be 7th day baptist. I grew up with the Saturday Sabbath, but it was a day of rest, not worship. And I tend to bridle at militant vegetarians [something about New England just seems to make people militant, about anything. Even girl scout cookies]. Thankfully, my wife hails from a completely different part of the country, so we get along just fine in that regards :-)

And thank you for sharing. It is really encouraging to hear things like that.
LunaLuss 1 year ago
I do say things that I regret later when I think more about them. At the moment they dont seem that hurtful, but after thinking about them afterwards, it becomes more clear.
It's a hateful habit to keep thinking about things until they're worn out...
Welllllll, for me it is more like I know I shouldn't say them from the get go but simply don't care at the moment.
Sorry you had to go through that. Thankfully, I've had nothing but good experiences upgrading to w10.

:-)
LunaLuss 1 year ago
oh I see, well at least you get it out of your system :p
Yep, they don't want happening to W7or W8 that happened to XP [ie, everyone was happy with it and felt no need what so ever to change], gotta keep those pointless upgrades going, doncha know?