Murder by Death 6 years ago
How's the narration?
BrokenTune 6 years ago
Excellent! She reminds me of Victoria Wood, who also would be a great narrator for this story.
Murder by Death 6 years ago
Thanks, good to know - I might try a "re-read" in audio version at some point. I suspect there's a lot of humour I missed the first time when I was concentrating on figuring out what was going on.
BrokenTune 6 years ago
It is very much one where you have to just go with the flow, but I know what you mean, this is a weird one to try and describe.
Reflections 6 years ago
I love this series! I wish Fforde would write another Thursday Next book.
BrokenTune 6 years ago
How many are there? I'm not really into series but this one makes me want to read more.
Reflections 6 years ago
7 so far. Fforde has a few other series, but this is by far my favorite.
Sarah's Library 6 years ago
I'm a big fan of this series and understand most of the literary jokes, but 'Bodmin' flew right over my head. What is it and why's it funny?
BrokenTune 6 years ago
Bodmin is a county in Cornwall that is famous for its moor, the jail, and the lunatic asylum. There is a phrase "going bodmin" which the reference in Eyre Affair made me think of - http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=going+bodmin .
Lillelara 6 years ago
I knew that I have heard Bodmin before, but I just couldn´t place it. I was in Bodmin last year and visited the jail there. Well, that town apparently didn´t leave a lasting impression on me.
Lillelara 6 years ago
Love Thursday Next. You make me want to start this series again:). I got stuck at book three, probably because of the german translation, which means that I actually have to reread the first two books in English.
BrokenTune 6 years ago
Would a re-read not be worthwhile?
Lillelara 6 years ago
Yes, it definitely would be worthwhile :). The thing is that I´m awfully bad at reading book series, often leaving years between every single book. More than often, I have to re-read the previous novels, otherwise I would be lost. This is escpecially true for the Thursday Next books, because there is so much going on in these books.
BrokenTune 6 years ago
I'm rubbish at series. Unless it is so captivating that I must read the next book right away, I usually don't bother. I'm also not one to re-read. There are only a few books I re-read, but I can count them on both hands.
consoul 6 years ago
Haha! "A puncture? Really?" :D
BrokenTune 6 years ago
:) The book is full of stuff like this. Loved it. I also loved the image of a nation being outraged if a literary figure got kidnapped and disappeared from the book.
consoul 6 years ago
It sounds really funny. Loaded it to my kindle.... :) The book was on my TBR list for a long time, maybe now is the time for it!
BrokenTune 6 years ago
Have I mentioned the dodos, yet? Worth 4 of the 4.5 stars I'd give it just for Pickwick, the dodo, alone. All else was icing on the cake. Also, the chat between thursday and her new superior, who does not approve of the use of weapons was hilarious, too. So, many good parts.
Murder by Death 6 years ago
"Plock, plock"
BrokenTune 6 years ago
Hehe. :D
Sarah's Library 6 years ago
I LOVED the punny names - Jack Schitt, Millon de Floss and so many more (I must read them all again).