BrokenTune 6 years ago
Thanks Troy. in your understanding, would it make sense for a colour blind person to claim to have seen a green scarf when being asked for a red one? Surely, if they were trying to hide their colour blindness they would not mention colours at all.

So far, it sounds to me as if Christie was subscribing to an old myth about colour blindness without doing her research.
BrokenTune 6 years ago
The character is not trying to hide it. He actually says ‘I don’t always know red from green.’

I know, it's a small thing, but I may have gotten to the point where just everything is a little bit annoying in this book. :(
BrokenTune 6 years ago
Agreed. I think I'll have to park this one together with the other bits of dialogue that don't match.
Thanks. :)
Reviews in Chalk 6 years ago
my husband is colorblind and I've never seen him doing anything similar at this red/green scarf scene. I agree that she is reason it out from secondhand knowledge, since the scene could have happened the other way around here. If my husband would have asked for a red scarf, I would have think if I saw a red, green or brown one. If asked for a blue one, I'd have thought in a blue, purple or lilas one. He never tries to "guess" the color because he knows it would make things worst. We have more success when he just name the color he thinks he see and I guess.
And yes, colorblindness is much more complicated than the red/green thing, and is different from person to person. My husband rarely see the red green, he mostly sees it brown. In the traffic lights is kind of orange for him, but completely different form the green, that is white for him.
BrokenTune 6 years ago
Thanks for commenting. It makes so much sense that this should be a complex issue and highly dependent on individual experience. Even without colour blindness, people perceive hues of colour differently, so why should this be any simpler with colour blindness.
Reviews in Chalk 6 years ago
I know! At some point is very interesting. :) His two brothers are colorblind too but all the three of them has problems with different colors.
BrokenTune 6 years ago
Wow. Have they known this from early on or did it cause problems for them when growing up?
Reviews in Chalk 6 years ago
Never heard of these shirts! Sounds cool, but I don't won't to be an ex-wife too. :)
In my husband's case, his first grade teacher was the one who suspected first.
I remember when we were about one week dating and I told him "you are colorblind!" , and he answered "no, I just never learned the colors".
BrokenTune 6 years ago
Ha. That's a great response. :)
BrokenTune 6 years ago
Thanks for sharing Bookstooge. I bet the brown M&Ms are still better than unripe strawberries. :)
Reflections 6 years ago
My father was colorblind and couldn't tell when the tomatoes on his plant were ripe--we'd have to go out to the garden with him and point out the red ones among the green. As near as he could explain, green and red both looked sort of gray, not so far from blue. The color he loved was yellow because it was the only one that stood out--so our house was yellow, our mailbox was yellow, our canoe was yellow and he let dandelions grow as profusely as they wanted to in our yard.
BrokenTune 6 years ago
Wow. In your dad's case it sounds like he really did miss out in green and red - I mean, if they both just looked like gray. I love that he compensated with yellow! It's such a friendly colour. :)
Sarah's Library 6 years ago
I'm colour blind, after looking at Wikipedia's definitions for the different types of colour blindness I think I have cone monochromacy. Usually I can tell one colour from another, it's hues I have problems with. When you put white and cream paint samples next to each other I can see that they are different, but move one so I can't see them both at the same time and suddenly they both appear to be white. Sometimes I have trouble with green and brown, if they're close enough on the spectrum they'll both appear brown. Blue-grey is just grey. Very dark colours like indigo or charcoal grey or dark red are all black for me unless they are sat next to an actual black. Very pale colours (any of them - pale green, yellow, blue, red, etc) will all just appear white to me unless they are sat next to an actual white.

My life has only been occasionally effected, I once coloured some Cookie Monster cookies in with green because I though it was the brown pencil. I've provided endless entertainment for my friends who used to delight in asking me to identify different coloured pencils and exclaiming over the fact that I would often get green/brown, dark colours/black, pale colours/white wrong. When it comes to interior decorating I really like bright colours because I can identify them as being a colour, not white. For example the room I'm sitting in is painted with a very pale green, or so I'm told because as I look at it now it appears to be white. In the library the ceiling is painted white and the walls are a pale grey, I can see the pale grey because it's up against the white and I can see the difference. The lounge room walls are painted the exact same colour, but the ceiling isn't white, so even though I KNOW the walls are the same grey colour, I still see white.

I learned about my condition when I was at high school. In science the teacher decided to get out those dot charts they use to test for colour blindness and was more excited than she should have been when I put my hand up and announced that I couldn't see any of the numbers. I told my mum when I got home and that's when she told me that my dad is colour blind too, it's often genetic, but girls are much less likely to be effected - 8% of men compared to 0.4% of women.
BrokenTune 6 years ago
Haha. I have to watch that film sometime. It's been on my list for while.
BrokenTune 6 years ago
Wow. Thanks for sharing. I had heard there was a difference between men and women with respect to percentages of people affected but didn't it was that much of a difference.
BrokenTune 6 years ago
Red or blue? When he says "can't see" what does he perceive red or blue as? Do you know?