6 years ago
YAY!! *Happy dancing* :)

I loved your comments,insights and quotes.
BrokenTune 6 years ago
Thanks again for the recommendation. I really enjoyed this one. I'd even add it to the very short list of books that I'd read again.
6 years ago
I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I always feel bad about it, when someone doesn't like something I recommended.
BrokenTune 6 years ago
So, Char, here's a question: What do you make of the picnic scene?
6 years ago
You know, that was a scene that always confused me a little bit. I haven't read the book in two years now, but if memory serves, I believe that I attributed that to Eleanor's being "attuned" to Hill House and its history. What about you?
BrokenTune 6 years ago
I don't know - it probably is the one scene that unsettled me most, because it isn't just Eleanor. If it had been just her, I could attribute it to her state of mind and rationalise it, or I could attribute it to her being taken in by the House and accept the supernatural aspect. But it was Theodora who screamed and told Eleanor to run and not look back.
6 years ago
The scene that unsettled me the most was the holding of hands.
And both Eleanor and Theodora heard the banging on the door and all kinds of other incidents. But I think that it was Eleanor herself that was almost a beacon/amplifier for HH.
BrokenTune 6 years ago
No doubt, Eleanor was the one the House communicated with.

And what about Theodora's blood-soaked clothes??? That had me puzzled, too. I definitely will read this again. Already looking forward to Halloween 2016. :)
BrokenTune 6 years ago
Goodness, even re-capping gives me chills. :D
6 years ago
Perhaps, I will read it with you next Halloween? I'm due for another re-read. :)
And yeah, I just do not understand people who don't find this book scary. I mean, I know it's not like what's offered up as horror these days, fairly little gore, heck-there's not even any real swearing. But scary? I thought it was, for sure.
BrokenTune 6 years ago
I don't watch horror or read horror, so I only have few things to compare it with, but I do appreciate when an author creates an atmosphere, and as I said, I could not read this before bedtime.