BrokenTune 9 years ago
Thank you! It will make for a good reprieve from NA!
BrokenTune 9 years ago
To be fair the portrayal of men was my only gripe with this book. It was fascinating all other respects - I didn't even mind the length. What other Atwoods can you recommend?
I've read The Handmaid's Tale and Oryx and Crake (which I really liked).

Thinking about getting into The Blind Assassin soon.
BrokenTune 9 years ago
Thank you. I'll check them out. :)
bookaneer 9 years ago
Great review. I also noticed--and eventually became uncomfortable with--Atwood's unremitting portrayal of men as aggressors and women as helpless victims. Hasn't literary feminism evolved past that?
BrokenTune 9 years ago
I guess that's why I had a problem labelling it as "feminist" - it bugs me when it's a perspective that, if genders were reversed, would easily be called "sexist". But, I guess, there are several ways to interpret.
I get what Atwood is trying to do and, for the most part, it works. AG is a great book - and brilliantly written - but I needed to read it with a pinch of salt or at least with the conscious acknowledgement that this is dystopian fiction set in historical non-fiction.
This was my favorite Margaret Atwood book. I was so very much disappointed in her last book, "The Heart Goes Last". Found it completely ridiculous.
BrokenTune 9 years ago
That's not a good sign, I was intrigued by the title (The Heart Goes Last), so it's on my tbr. It will be a while before I get around to it, tho. Loved your review of THGL, btw.
Thanks but in looking back, I think I was a bit too generous in my rating of the book. There were parts that I enjoyed at the time but now when I think of the book, what stands out the most is the stupid Elvis sexbots! Maybe I just didn't understand the humor involved. I do now remember having to keep reading to see how it would all turn out, though I did skim a bit. Shouldn't have said it was completely ridiculous but some of it sure was!
BrokenTune 9 years ago
I'm partly intrigued and partly abhorred. :D
Awogfli - Bookcroc 9 years ago
Ah das liest meine Goodreads Lesegruppe im November - ich setze ausnahmsweise mal f├╝r 2 Monate aus :-)
BrokenTune 9 years ago
Hoffentlich nicht wegen der Buchwahl fuer November! :)
Awogfli - Bookcroc 9 years ago
Nein es ist was gaanz erfreuliches ich bin auf Urlaub und weiss irgendwie nicht genau wie die Internetverf├╝gbarkeit ist - dadurch wird es schwierig zu diskutieren
BrokenTune 9 years ago