BrokenTune 3 years ago
Yeah, it really suffered on the re-read. Not the writing. I do enjoy Fleming's writing - it completely saved Live and Let Die. Curiously, I like Live and Let Die much more than this one, even though the racism is abysmal. I guess I have come to the conclusion that I can be ok with acknowledging the use of phrases and language used at the time of writing but that the acknowledgement does nothing with respect to helping me enjoy the book any more than I did.

At least with Live and Let Die there are some other aspects (the sinister atmosphere and some of the scenes that were used in the Licence to Kill film I believe) that I found well drafted.
I didn't get the same "thrill" out of this one.
BrokenTune 3 years ago
Do you want to continue? I'd still love to read the other books. Like I said earlier, just because I don't like Bond doesn't mean I can't enjoy other aspects of the books. And.....I still want to find out which of the villains I like best in this series.
I've read Live and Let Die twice. Last time was recent enough to remember a lot of it. That's why I originally wanted to join in with the mission when Moonraker was up.

I have the first three books at home right now (in combined edition from the library), so I am happy to continue whenever.
Sharon E. Cathcart 3 years ago
I have read all of Fleming's Bond novels. It is hard not to suffer from presentism when reading them, to be sure . Keeping in mind that "Casino Royale" was the first book written and seeing how they improve over time helps. Despite its lousy film adaptation, I think the best of the books is "On Her Majesty's Secret Service."
BrokenTune 3 years ago
OHMSS is one of the ones I have never read and I am hugely intrigued. I actually liked the film. :D
Debbie's Spurts 3 years ago
I read these as a fourth grader just because my bff's older brother was obsessed and was nice enough to let me borrow any of his books. No disrespect to Fleming's writing but despite finishing them they never had anything to grab me other than available volume of free books and the notion of spy/espionage. Didn't care for what I thought of as lackluster action, the "missions," Bond, the "playboy" parts...

If I had had a better understanding of the Cold War, politics and actual espionage (and hadn't first seen a few spy thriller movies) I probably would have felt differently.

Now I notice racism, misogyny, etc. but wasn't something really registering back then (plus because the brother was Black and reading if I had noticed racism issue I might have shrugged off as okay to read because he was okay with it) -- I blame that not just on that era's culture but also on the bestsellers and serial category romance things like all those "Abducted by the Sheik/Millionaire/Tycoon-like-Grey-of-FSoG/Pirate/Savage-Injun" and " Glamourous with Servants and Private Jets" books floating around yard sales and used book store bag of books that were even worse about it.

Of course the action in Bond suffered by comparison when back then I had to go to the "Men's Adventure" section of book store to get my fix of SF&F: John Christopher Priest, Robert A. Heinlein, Isaac Asimov, Frank Herbert's Dune, ... and some rather funny but even to me rather he-man gets all the girls ones like Anderson's Flandry books and Goulart's spoofs plus scarier adventures like Jaws and The Deep from Peter Benchley. The action of Bond in Casino Royale versus Jaws or Paul Atreides and the Fremen ... hardly a fair comparison. Well, the "improvng" clean books in the church library even had some action-packed, derring-do books where even tales of Daniel Boone and the Founding Fathers were often more adventuresome.
BrokenTune 3 years ago
Yeah, the plot/action parts are not at all pronounced in this one, but I guess that was Fleming's point - that the spies were conducting their business without drawing much attention.
BrokenTune 3 years ago
Agreed (on book Bond sucking). There are a few scenes in the short stories where I do enjoy seeing him being taken down a peg - not in a physical way, but him realising that his impression of some of the other characters has been utterly wrong. I liked this.